Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting up a half yard >
  • Cutting up a half yard

• Cutting up a half yard

Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Depends on what you want to make really. Or what you use the most. I use a lot of strips, and tend to cut more into strips. I don't usually cut 1/2 yds though. Usually if I have a chunk left after another project, I often cut into strips if they will go with some of my other strips.
    Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

I am in the camp of leaving everything in large pieces until I know how to use them in a quilt. Even if I am going to make a scrappy string quilt, I just pull out all the fabrics/colors I want to use and cut off pieces at that time. I have several patterns I like that use larger pieces, 4 1/2" strips, etc so would not like to have all my smaller cuts/scraps precut into 2 1/2" strips or squares.
    Old 02-08-2016, 07:09 PM
    Power Poster

You could check out Bonnie Hunter's site (www.quiltville.com) for some ideas...
    Old 02-09-2016, 03:44 AM

So far, I have been able to keep my stash to a manageable size so I keep my 1/4 and 1/2 yards in tact until I find use for them. I have three bins (kinda like Bonnie Hunter suggests) one with crumbs, strip pieces and larger scraps.

I purchased a class on Craftsy called "Cut to It" that you might enjoy...
    Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 AM

I wouldn't recommend cutting them unless you only sew with precuts. A half yard is usable in so many ways, once it's cut, it's only usable as precuts.
    Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 AM

I love 2.5" strips can be used for so many things...binding is one and patchwork another. The left over 3" strip could also be cut down to 2.5 if needed later. I love layer cakes since they are well utilized into 4 charm squares for even can be used to make an 8" block or smaller if necessary...then if 8" should would have a 2" strip left for patchwork. I have been trying to cut down my scraps also. Quiltville/Bonnie Hunter has a great article on this. That being said having 1/2 yards is not a bad thing. I usually tear my fabric into 1/2 yard and starch and iron prior to cutting strips anyway. Easier than trying to handle a whole yard or 2 yards of fabric.
    Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 AM

If it were me, I would not cut half a yard unless I definitely knew how I was going to use it.
    Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 AM

I like to leave fabrics in the size purchased until I know what I want to do with them. I store fabrics in plastic bins by color and I mark all of them with a label telling the size. When I finish a project I re-label the left overs. Those pieces that are scraps are stored in plastic bags by color for later cutting and use. I like to keep my options open but I also like controlled storage.
    Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 AM

When I am working on a project, I usually cut extra strips and squares that go into a special scrap drawer for future use. I also sew the cutaway portions of HST's into HST's for future use or to make a smaller version of a larger project.
    Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 AM
    Power Poster

I have a lot of pieces I don't want to throw away (very difficult for me) but aren't large enough to do many repeat blocks with. Looking forward to reading the replies.