Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • D9P question >
  • D9P question

• D9P question

Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM

I have decided to make a D9P with my dog fabrics; I have about 9-10 of them that I am going to use. My questions are these:
    1. Is there a certain size I have to make each square (before they are cut apart)? Do they have to be 5"? Is one size better than another?
    2. Should I put the same tone of fabric in the same places? Like a dark one in all the centers, etc?
    Thanks in advance for your help! I learn so much from all of you!
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM

I would keep in mind the center square will be cut into 4 small squares so using a consistent one there will help your pattern develop and show better the 4 corners are the only ones that stay whole 5 inches is a nice size.
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM

You can use any size squares. Charms squares 5" would work well. I used 5-1/2" because I was using squares from a panel for mine. If you make the center square all the same fabric (or color) it makes a nice pattern. Although I've seen some random ones that are very pretty too. I also kept the darker ones in the middle of each side, the panel squares on 2 corners and lighter ones on the other 2 corners. I'm glad I did a test block, because I had the lights/darks reversed and didn't like it as much that way.

I'll attach a picture of mine so you can see what I mean about the centers. Mine are all green.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-96671.jpe  
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM

I like a strong color in the center with all blocks the same. As for the others, large prints go in the four corners (uncut) and smaller prints or solids in the center blocks that will be cut. I wish I had used more solids or blenders in mine. It was a little busy. If you need a picture, look in my threads started under 'Birthday quilt'.
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I like a strong color in the center with all blocks the same. As for the others, large prints go in the four corners (uncut) and smaller prints or solids in the center blocks that will be cut. I wish I had used more solids or blenders in mine. It was a little busy. If you need a picture, look in my threads started under 'Birthday quilt'.
    That quilt is beautiful!! I never would have thought to use the D9P with fussy cuts!!! Great idea!!
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:38 PM

I like a strong color in the center with all blocks the same. As for the others, large prints go in the four corners (uncut) and smaller prints or solids in the center blocks that will be cut. I wish I had used more solids or blenders in mine. It was a little busy.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90709-1.htm
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM

I watched this link and it helped me. you might like it and there are others to look at too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZO...eature=related
    Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM

OK - what's wrong with me? I was thinking D9P was 'double nine patch' but the quilt I see a picture of isn't.

And what's a 'fussy cut' ... I can't imagine it's something in a double nine patch.

What am I missing?
    Old 01-27-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    OK - what's wrong with me? I was thinking D9P was 'double nine patch' but the quilt I see a picture of isn't.

And what's a 'fussy cut' ... I can't imagine it's something in a double nine patch.

What am I missing?
    Disappearing 9-patch. Click either the YouTube link or check under tutorials for how to make them.

fussy cut - where you don't just line up the ruler and cut 5", scoot it over and cut 5", but where you actually pay attention to the pieces you're cutting. Like if you have a fabric with animals, you put the ruler so you're cutting their heads in half, probably have some fabric waste, but have the nice whole heads
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 AM

I use 6 1/2 inch squares normally. I have used different patterns and colors. The large prints should be in your corners. I like a solid fabric for the little squares. But I have seen so many I like that are very different. I also like placing them so no seams touch
    Here is one that I made with 4 inch squares http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...ine-patch.html
    I am going to redo this weekend. I really do not like the batting I used and also not thrilled of the binding color I choose.