Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dash quilts >
  • Dash quilts

• Dash quilts

Old 11-11-2017, 08:19 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I often pay for a class which then requires books and rulers. This is often the case at the Vermont Quilt Festival. I have just resigned myself to considering it part of the cost. And occasionally I have even used the ruler again!
    Old 11-11-2017, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

Coopah- I know how you feel. I'm getting tired of special rulers, and even more tired of books.
    Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 AM

"After examining her webpage and facebook page, I would suggest that this lady has found a great way to market herself. "

Yes, that is the name of the game in quilting today. Marketing, everyone is selling something......
    Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM

Yes, she has a good marketing program. I signed up through my guild and the class will be held in one of the rooms at the local library. I agree, her basic is a square in a square from looking at the website. After studying her class hand-out with a very small photo on it, it looks similar to Eleanor Burns’s “Hole in the Wall” quilt but with a slightly different set up. The center measurement says to cut the center squares 2”. That will make 1.5” finished center. Seems small to me, so I’m hoping she didn’t mean 2” finished. Sometimes, I think too much. Everything is cut, so I’m not going to recut. Luvspaper, you’re right about using tape to mark off the ruler. Great idea!
    Old 11-11-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Coopah- I know how you feel. I'm getting tired of special rulers, and even more tired of books.
    It will be fun to be with other quilters, and I think the ruler problem will be solved with tape! :-)
    Gotta love this board for ideas. Looking at the pattern she will be teaching, much could be done by strip quilting which is my preference over small pieces. My patience level isn’t high!
    Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah
    It will be fun to be with other quilters, and I think the ruler problem will be solved with tape! :-)
    Gotta love this board for ideas. Looking at the pattern she will be teaching, much could be done by strip quilting which is my preference over small pieces. My patience level isn’t high!
    Much as I sometimes dislike spending money on rulers, etc. that I may only use once - it's a major annoyance if everyone else in the class is using the "suggested tools" and only one person is trying to "make do" with something else - especially if the person does not know how to "make do" with the something else. It really slows down the flow of the class and takes up valuable time from everyone else for whatever it was that everyone signed up for.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-11-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM

I stopped signing up for classes. If i purchase the book, specialty rulers and the pattern, then any monkey can do it (no offence to the monkey). Sometimes they only show how to make "one block" with these tools and then send you on your way. I am always hoping for a day or two of sewing with others and getting a major portion of the flimsy done.....but that is not how it works. Show up, pay. they read you the instructions, make one block, go home and finish it. No fun, no thanks.
    Old 11-11-2017, 02:39 PM
    Gay

The web-site mentions 10" pre-cuts, and rulers of 8 1/2 and 4 1/2", so I assume the center block will finish at 4". If you don't want any more rulers, one could place a 4" square of clear/tinted adhesive dead center of the 8 1/2" ruler, which will easily square up the block to 8 1/2". Seems like a stack n whack - easy done.
    Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM

I looked at the website. it appears that the dash quilt is a square in square. Or am I looking at the wrong quilt
    Old 11-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Much as I sometimes dislike spending money on rulers, etc. that I may only use once - it's a major annoyance if everyone else in the class is using the "suggested tools" and only one person is trying to "make do" with something else - especially if the person does not know how to "make do" with the something else. It really slows down the flow of the class and takes up valuable time from everyone else for whatever it was that everyone signed up for.
    And this is the reason I don't attend quilt classes... I'd be that person... I know it so I don't go or pay 💰....