Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • day of horrors >
  • day of horrors

• day of horrors

Old 03-21-2014, 10:48 AM

You can do it!
    One day I really screwed things up and kvetched on the Board and someone said, "Sue, just walk away" and that was the best advice ever because I would have ruined it out of frustration and pique.
    Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

(hugs) yes, we have all been there. Sometimes batiks can make FMQ difficult due to their tight weave. Use a super sharp needle and try again later.
    Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM

So sorry. Sometimes it's better if everyone has a time out. Hope you can finish without more problems. One thing that really helps me with batik is to use an 80 needle. It just glides though easier.

Last night was like that for me. It never ever fails when I'm in a hurry. The machine would stop and the thread error message kept coming on. Really?? I CAN thread the machine. So frustrating.
    Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Hang in there. I have one that I really screwed up and put it in the bottom of a container. I recently took it out and it is now draped over the love seat in the living room. I look at it every day and as soon as I'm finished with the one I'm working on, I will get back to it. I am determined to fix it....I have plenty of money tied up in it and refuse to just throw it out. (I almost did throw it out)
    Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Rough day, better luck tomorrow

what's the line "A bad day quilting is better than a good day at work"

Mine has not been so smooth either I won't tell you that while putting borders on my quilt I had to redo it 3 times due to my dumb mistakes. It needs 2 more borders I think I'll wait till tomorrow too
    Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
    Power Poster

I raise the presser foot, bring up the needle, turn the machine light off, turn the machine off, cover the machine put the material aside, cover it. Then walk out of the room slamming the door behind me as I say quite a few choice words. Go to the refrigerator and pop open a beverage of choice. After all it's 5:00 some where. Even if it's only that time in LA in the morning.
    Old 03-22-2014, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I raise the presser foot, bring up the needle, turn the machine light off, turn the machine off, cover the machine put the material aside, cover it. Then walk out of the room slamming the door behind me as I say quite a few choice words. Go to the refrigerator and pop open a beverage of choice. After all it's 5:00 some where. Even if it's only that time in LA in the morning.
    Been there, done that and have the UFO to prove it.LOL
    Old 03-22-2014, 03:40 AM

Best to get up and leave the room, go get a hot cup of tea and put your feet up and relax for awhile. It happens to all of us. It will be better when you return. Don't stress yourself. Quilting is supposed to be fun and enjoyable! A stress reliever, not a stress maker.
    Old 03-22-2014, 03:57 AM

I have had two straight days like that - I have tried three times with different fabric to make two lousy 12" blocks (that's how angry I was at myself) including some expensive batik also. When it didn't work out two times, I tried the same fabric on a different pattern and I blew it. So, I disposed of the two lousy blocks and started all over again and it worked out fine. Now I have two more blocks to make for a quilt and it'll be done and I can put it together. This has, by far, been the hardest quilt I have ever made. I pick out blocks to match the person I am making it for. I tried to do "Cat's Cradle" because she has two cats and there was room for three cat squares - had perfect grey kitties to go in the blocks with the background being batik - sheesh, didn't work. So anyhow, you are not alone, we all go through it. This was my first time having this much trouble with two blocks, but "tomorrow is another day" and TODAY'S THE DAY~~~~~ Good luck to you! Edie
    Old 03-22-2014, 04:38 AM
    Power Poster

Days af frustration and aggravation - yes, most of us have had them.

Day of HORROR? Not really.