Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dealer required class...this makes me giggle >
  • Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

• Dealer required class...this makes me giggle

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Think about what this means...these people sell sewing machines and people buy the sewing machines and don't know how to thread the needle or change the feet! Can you imagine how many calls these poor people must have gotten about threading machines??! Sad but true. There are many people out there who literally "can't thread a needle", thinking that a sewing machine is the answer to their prayer! Now they can sew. I think I'd make darn sure whoever bought from me at least knew how to thread the darn thing! Good for them.
    Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM

One thing I learned last year in a class like this, after sewing for 70 years, is that we should clip the thread on top of the tension and pull it through to the needle. They said it prevents lint build up in the tension area. No one had told me that in all of those years of sewing.
    Old 03-13-2014, 01:40 PM

It's nice that they care .
    Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 PM

There is a real lack of common sense today, one reason country is a mess. Have fun and good luck getting part you want cheaper.
    Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by dc989
    I am confused. Why would you be upset about being offered a class to review the finer points of a new machine?
    I think the source of your confusion is that I'm not upset!!

I just think it's funny (literally, ha-ha funny) that I HAD to be signed up to be walked through threading the machine when I was 100% sure I didn't need to.

And since I just came back from picking up said machine, I can tell you it was exactly as easy as I expected. I don't even think it took even 10 seconds, LOL. I sat down and before she could get a word out I just threaded it right up. I'm telling you, Janomes are EASY to thread! But it wasn't the new girl "teaching" me, it was the owner, so we just sat and chatted for awhile. I researched the machine very well before buying it, so I didn't have any questions. It was a nice visit.

And I really drooled over that Singer Rocketeer, but I was good and didn't take it home. I'm glad I left it behind...I sure do love the looks of those machines but I'm not sure I'd ever actually use it. At least, I THINK I'm glad I left it behind...
    Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    A couple weeks ago, I called my local Janome dealer and ordered a 3160 QDC to serve as my new "back up" and free-arm machine. They had my 6600 for service so I said I'd pick them both up as soon as they were ready.

Today I got a call that they were ready and asking when I could come in for my "classes".

Me: “Classes? What classes?”

Her: “OH we like to make sure you can thread the machines, change the feet…”

M: “Ok, well, I’ve had the 6600 for over a year so I don’t need a class for that one for sure. The other one is similar to, and simpler than, the 6600 so I think I can probably handle it.”

Her: “Ok, well, it doesn’t have to be a LONG class. We just like to make sure you can thread the machine, change the feet…”

We kind of went in circles at that point, so I gave up and now I have an appointment at 1:00 tomorrow to learn how to thread my new machine, and change the feet. LOL!! I'm willing to bet I can thread that machine in about 30 seconds! Shortest class ever.
    My mother always told me "Everyone is smarter than you think they are and you can learn something from everyone. "Go and enjoy your class and learn something even if it is only to be gracious and kind while you teach the teacher what you know. froggyintexas
    Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 AM

You are a sport for agreeing to go. Be interested to hear a report after the class and see if you can teach us something new.
    Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by misschris
    You are a sport for agreeing to go. Be interested to hear a report after the class and see if you can teach us something new.
    I posted about it just above. Basically I went and spent the time having a lovely chat with the owners, LOL. I haven't actually met the new girl face-to-face yet so I was a little disappointed she wasn't there, actually. I've only talked to her on the phone. (And don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to be critical of her, the situation just amused me. She's just doing her job and she's always very sweet and helpful.)
    Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 AM

I bought a Janome machine a few years back and went through the same thing. When I assured them it was unnecessary, the clerk acted as if I had two heads. While I LOVE my Janome, I would never buy from that dealership again.
    Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 AM

I wonder if the Janome company "requires" that they do that.

Ah well, I have my lovely new machine now, and it IS lovely. Sews so smoothly and quietly. It just feels good. I love my 6600 and will still use it the most probably, but I am also in love with this 3160!