Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dear Jane >
  • Dear Jane

• Dear Jane

Old 07-06-2024, 10:50 AM

I have a few DJ blocks, the software and a bunch of smaller green fabric pieces. I decided to make mine a "Green Piece" DJ using only green and cream(ish) fabrics. Don't ask how many years ago I started. I recently saw DJ software in a thrift store which got me thinking about mine and I dug everything up but have discovered technical difficulties. The only computer I now own which has a CD drive has no internet access (wireless only in the house, no wireless capability on the computer) and the software doesn't run properly. I can't print any blocks. I'm feeling kind of defeated but have so much green fabric, I do need to make that quilt. One day. Maybe.
    Old 07-06-2024, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by b.zang
    I have a few DJ blocks, the software and a bunch of smaller green fabric pieces. I decided to make mine a "Green Piece" DJ using only green and cream(ish) fabrics. Don't ask how many years ago I started. I recently saw DJ software in a thrift store which got me thinking about mine and I dug everything up but have discovered technical difficulties. The only computer I now own which has a CD drive has no internet access (wireless only in the house, no wireless capability on the computer) and the software doesn't run properly. I can't print any blocks. I'm feeling kind of defeated but have so much green fabric, I do need to make that quilt. One day. Maybe.
    B.Zang ... Oh dear! Technical difficulties are never good. Though I am no geek to be able to tell you how to create a work around!!! but there has just got to be a way! I'll hope for you, that someone can come forth with some suggestions for you.

Yours will be phenomenal ... because it must be a cousin of my "Jane Sings The Blues ♪♪" with every block a different blue fabric with a constant white background. My leftover blocks are destined to be "Jane Sings The Blues Too♪♪".

I really hope that BearIsGray will take the reins and help pull us all together to get at our DJs! Pleeeeeease, BIG??
    Old 07-06-2024, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

I bought the book years ago. I never started it . After looking at the blocks I realized I didn't really like them that much to spend all that time making the quilt. The finished quilts I have seen are beautiful and I admire them.
    Old 07-06-2024, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=b.zang;8653675]I have a few DJ blocks, the software and a bunch of smaller green fabric pieces. I decided to make mine a "Green Piece" DJ using only green and cream(ish) fabrics. Don't ask how many years ago /QUOTE]

I’m not one to give tech advice, either, but there are cheap DVD players on Ebay that you can plug into your computer. I don’t think many computers come with built-in players anymore. I think mine was a Lenovo for $15.99 two years ago. You can use it for movies, too, if you have DVDs.

You can connect your computer to the printer with a cable.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Old 07-06-2024, 02:40 PM
    Power Poster

Anyone and everyone is welcome to post on this thread - or a different one that has already been started.

I have some issues at the moment and my energy level is low.

Way back when i had a thread going in the pda section about working on the jane a stickle quilt.. I had reread it a couple of years ago and I was entertained. But then, I am easily entertained.

at the time. I was recreating designs/blocks by folding paper. Still a valid technique.

a lot of the blocks were variations on a theme. When I started, I did not recognize the more or less around the world color placement.

I also had issues with the book. I understand that the software was more true to the blocks than the book drawings were.

I have often wondered if she had participated in a group. Some of the blocks - from what a can t ell from the tiny photos in the dear Jane book- some seem to be made with more precision than others.

I also got the impression that Jane wS poor - so how was she a le to obtain so many different fabrics.

i also think that some of the blocks will be much easier to piece by hand than by machine. I have become less of a purist about techniques thsn i used to be.

Old 07-07-2024, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I haven't yet felt moved to make 4" blocks. I do have Sylvia's Bridal sampler (6" blocks) in my queue.

Yes, me too. Love the Elm Creek Books that the idea of reproducing Sylvia's quilt thrills me. I did do a version of Harriet's Journey a couple of years ago and enjoy looking at the finish every day. (It hangs in my dinning room.) I need to finish the Farmer's Wife first then I can dive into the Bridal Sampler.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-07-2024 at 02:41 AM.
    Old 07-07-2024, 03:31 PM

Default Dear Jane

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Is anyone still working on a Dear Jane quilt?

The one by Jane A. Stickle -
    yes and Yes …. Before I retired in July 2009 … I finished all the blocks, border triangles and 4 corners… everything is carefully separated in rows, etc…thinking every year this will be “Fall Project” I want to hand quilt .. it has been 110+ again this summer..so I yet again said “Fall Project” … who know this may be the year…

at least you have me thinking g about it again… thank you very much

judy in Phx, AZ