Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dear Santa, please bring me a long-arm, I think ... >
  • Dear Santa, please bring me a long-arm, I think ...

• Dear Santa, please bring me a long-arm, I think ...

Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM

Go to the Machine Quilters Exposition(MQX) in Manchester, NH next April. They have all kinds of classes and you can see and try just about every machine available. Search: MQX East. They have been doing this for over 10 years and now have a show in the west each year too. The beginner classes will give you all the tips and info to make you feel confident in starting out.
    Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Mine was delivered to me and set up, so I didn't have to figure that out at all. The tech went through the machine with me on how to turn on, thread, wind the bobbin, load a quilt and etc,,,, and a few other things and then left me to my own play. That is the big key.....play, practice help get better as there is a learning curve and the feel of the machine. Once you get that under control, you have it. Have fun and good luck.
    Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 AM

I hope you are able to get one soon. That would be lovely.
    Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM

4 weeks ago, I ordered my longarm online and received it 3 weeks ago. I took 2 days to set it up, it wasn't easy but it wasn't particularly difficult either. I have been practicing daily and I am improving daily. My point is that I did not have a distributor close to me and the nearest one would not come to my home and help me set up so I bought it for a really good price online and did it myself. All of the tools to assemble it came with it with the exception of a level (which I already had). I have called Handi Quilter direct with questions a few times and they have given me wonderful customer service every time. I did not buy it from Handi Quilter directly but they still provided me good customer service at no cost. Anyway, this is my experience and if you are required to put it together yourself, it is possible. Good luck!

Christina
    Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM

I got show price from the dealer closest to me (2 hrs away). He came down and set it all up for me. I am in the steep learning curve right now.