Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC >
  • Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC

• Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC

Old 09-04-2015, 05:36 AM

Go and sew on each of the machines. I was at a Janome dealer yesterday and he had a light weight machine on sale for 199.00. It looked very good and if I had needed a machine I certainly would have checked it out. Machines are something I believe you need to actually sew on before you purchase them. Take different fabrics to try sewing on them and then make your decision. A good dealer will help you make the decision. Check on repairs while there.....do they repair on site? How quickly? I agree travel should not be an issue except as mentioned above.
    Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

The Feather Weight if it is only for piecing. My go to for piecing only is my white Feather Weight. If you want a machine that can do many things then the Janome.
    Old 09-04-2015, 05:41 AM
    Power Poster

Personally, if you want a DSM to take to classes, it is a featherweight. You don't need all those fancy stitches when taking a class (normally speaking) or going on a retreat.
    Old 09-04-2015, 05:52 AM

My choice would be the FW. I have a couple and love them dearly. If I need zig-zag or special stitches I have a Viking but it rarely gets used. I use the FW all the time. She's lightweight, makes a beautiful stitch, doesn't get fussy and need a trip to the repair shop ever. I can clean and oil her myself.... and do minor repairs although I haven't had to do much of anything with her. She understands me, tells me when she needs a drink of oil (by her sound) and makes me smile. I love her so much that I have purchased 2 more for my great GDs when they get old enough for them. Those are patiently waiting for the sweeties to sew on them.... hehe..... I'm a FW fan!!

ps: If you have any questions about FWs, just ask. I'll try to help.
    Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 AM
    Power Poster

If you have an extra wooden meat board, that will help keep the FW stable or have hubby or friend cut piece of wood for you. Also if my speed is trying to win a record, I slow down some. LOL!!
    Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I have both machines . If I had to buy one it would be the janome as it has more features than the featherweight and mine is definitely more stable. My featherweight moves about as I machine without mat under.
    Old 09-05-2015, 10:07 PM

Since you state this is strictly for piecing then all you need is a straight stitch. The 4120 seems to be way more machine than you will use if only doing straight stitch. Both are very nice in very different ways.
    Old 09-05-2015, 10:16 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes
    Oooooo featherweight....much covetted over here by vintage machine lovers....seldom come up on ebay and when they do they sell for quite a price. There's a little place in my vintage machine "herd" in my loungeroom that is reserved for the elusive featherweight.......one day....maybe..........
    Me too! Reckon we'll get lucky?
    Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM

I don 't have either, but I did take a Janome DC 1050 to classes and never used anything but the straight stitch. I got kind of nervous about the electronics being jostled even though I secured it for the ride. You also have to worry about temperature changes with the electronic ones, so can't go to class and then shopping if leaving it in the heat. I am very eager to buy a FW someday for its cute factor that's also not fussy and does beautiful work and doesn't need babysitting.
    Old 09-06-2015, 02:19 PM

I have Janome machines and also a f/w. I would get the Janome first and really, really try to also get the f/w. I love my f/w, but actually prefer to sew on my Janome. F/w's have a lot of "holes" to keep oiled and Janome only one, also more capabilities.
    Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM

I don't have a Janome so I can't comment on that machine; but I do have a Featherweight and I love, love, love that little machine. I do all of my piecing on it. I really like the fact that I can do all the servicing on the Featherweight. Now, I only use my Bernina for things like the blanket stitch and FMQ. The Featherweight is my favorite machine.