Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Deciphering Judy Niemeyer Pattern Yardage Amounts >
  • Deciphering Judy Niemeyer Pattern Yardage Amounts

• Deciphering Judy Niemeyer Pattern Yardage Amounts

Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 AM

Default Deciphering Judy Niemeyer Pattern Yardage Amounts

I fell in love with the Mariner's Compass Pattern. It was on sale at my LQS. So I bought it. Before purchasing fabric I decided to study it. My concern was in the piecing of it.
    I've PP'd before. And I understand these patterns are a big challenging. I was looking for a challenge. Otherwise I get bored with a pattern.
    So I read through the pattern and think with some organization I can do it.

But I can't figure out how much cloth to buy of each color. That part of the pattern is stumping me. Any suggestions.
    There are about 15 different fabrics.

I keep getting it out and looking at it. Each time I get overwhelmed and put it away.

SVAL
    Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 AM
    Power Poster

do you have a link to the pattern to help us.
    Old 06-10-2017, 03:12 AM

I have a couple of Judy Neimeyer patterns. The yardage requirements are on the back page of the pattern. Both of my patterns had many different fabrics. Raindrops had 22 colors with 8 -10 darks. I got onto www.Hancocks-Paducah.com. it lets you see many shades of a color . Ordered a big package, gave it to DH and told him he could give it to me for Christmas. I collected fabrics for a year and a half before I was ready to start cutting and sewing. I'm slow and not in a hurry to start. I've got 3 seams to sew before the top is together. My advice is to take your time and enjoy it.
    Old 06-10-2017, 03:18 AM

I typed in Judy Niemeyer Mariners compass and it brought me to the page on her site. On the right side are corrections to the pattern. On the left side, scroll down and click on the link and It will give you the yardage for the queen. I have a few of her patterns...someday.
    Old 06-10-2017, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

The Judy Niemeyer patterns I have all have a page that lists each of the fabrics needed for the quilt and how large a piece of each. Usually the cutting sheet- shows picture of the fabric, how large the piece is, and what to cut out of each. The mariners compass is one of my favorites to make.
    Old 06-10-2017, 08:38 AM

One of the best things about a Judy Niemeyer pattern is that you don't have to figure out how to organize it. She tells you what to do and the best thing to do is to follow her directions. I got a quilt kit from one of the quilt shops and they had written down each cut that was needed from the fabrics. It is making it so much easier for me to follow the pattern's cutting instructions. I love batiks for Judy patterns. Almost all batiks are the same on both sides and they are a tighter woven fabric that doesn't fray. Good luck with your pattern. Is there a particular colorway that you are leaning to?

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-10-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same problem with JN patterns. Yes, the yardage is given, but the problem for me is in identifying which fabric is used in which position. In some cases the pattern picture shows what appears to be the same fabric in two different positions, while the yardage table gives different amounts for the two positions, or vice versa. In the last JN pattern I made, the same fabric was referred to in various parts of the pattern as medium-dark or dark. I think this was an older JN pattern, so possibly the problems have been addressed since then. And I love her designs so much that I have accumulated more of her patterns than I can ever finish.
    Old 06-11-2017, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same problem with JN patterns. Yes, the yardage is given, but the problem for me is in identifying which fabric is used in which position. In some cases the pattern picture shows what appears to be the same fabric in two different positions, while the yardage table gives different amounts for the two positions, or vice versa. In the last JN pattern I made, the same fabric was referred to in various parts of the pattern as medium-dark or dark. I think this was an older JN pattern, so possibly the problems have been addressed since then. And I love her designs so much that I have accumulated more of her patterns than I can ever finish.
    Yes, this is exactly the problem I'm having. It would be easier if it were a kit, but then there's always the issues with not enough fabric when I make a mistake and also not always liking all the fabrics.
    I started yesterday wading through it section by section trying to figure it all out. My DH got involved because he's very analytical. That was helpful. But as you know there are LOTS of sections and fabric.
    Some of the fabrics appear to be the same until further investigation shows more than one used to make a tiny area.
    This issue and my lack of selection skills are making for a hard start up.
    SVAL
    Old 06-11-2017, 03:51 AM

JN patterns are not easy but they are worth the effort. I really wish she would put more effort into the fabric selection and placement-perhaps with gray scale diagrams. I know she and her husband (or son?) work very hard to produce a great product. I took a class with one of her 'certified' teachers and I enjoyed the 'hand holding'. However, I need to be able to apply what I learned to other JN patterns. I wish you luck, one step at a time.
    Old 06-12-2017, 03:56 AM

Is it possible to call them and discuss? I bet they can help.