Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Defaced quilts at border!! >
  • Defaced quilts at border!!

• Defaced quilts at border!!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Oh that is terrible! I would of refused & went back home also. Then I would have complained. Probably wouldn't of done any good but I would of done it anyways.
    Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM

Thats a shame... one quilter didn't need to one did ???
    Maybe just label w/sample in the future, someting that can be hem stitched on, never know all the rules regs and crud they go thru daily.
    Would ask customs whats up??
    Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 AM
    Banned

That is really sad, I hope she is able to fix all of them. God bless. Penny
    Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 AM

I'm sorry about this too. Very much over the top even within the guidelines for the custom's man's job description and personal judgment I'm sure. He sounds similar to one we deal with in Minnesota when returning from a wilderness canoe trip in Canada. Started calling him (among our canoe partners) Barney Fife. Remember him, the deputy on the Andy Griffith TV show. Luckily for us, he moved on (likely was moved) because of multiple complaints.
    Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM

This needs to be sent to NBC new with Brian Williams he would follow up on this matter.
    Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM

BUT....BUT....BUT....still using an magic marker is awful! Can understand custom's reason but why not on the back side????
    Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
    By reading the blog, it sounds like one of the posters has a brother in a position with customs to assist with this stupidity. I hope someone (the stupid custom agent) has to sit down and write an apology (just to start with) and secondly, someone realizes that works of art were defaced!
    I hope the agent gets fired and sued.
    Old 08-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    I would document this whole thing and how your friend was treated exactly the opposite. I would get a lawyer and make the Canadian government pay for the damage you were forced to do to them. THEN i would never go back to Canada again! Why spend time and money in a country that is so hostile to quilters!
    I live near Canada (in Maine). I am glad to know about this. I am DONE with Canada!
    When you're "done with Canada" I suppose you're also referring to the thousands of Canadians who, on 9/11, drove to airports all across Canada to pick up passengers stranded when the border was closed. They took them into their homes, fed them, clothed them, and never asked for money. Or maybe you're referring to the thousands of Canadian troops who have fought beside the US in Afghanistan for more than 9 years. Or possibly the Canadian embassy personnel who, at risk of their lives, sheltered US embassy personnel during the embassy takeover in Iran in the 70s. You should get your facts straight before you rant and probably shouldn't cross the border anyway. I doubt you'd be welcomed.
    Old 08-07-2010, 09:21 AM

I don't understand why some people are automatically thinking it was Canadian customs. It doesn't say anywhere in the title or the OP that it was. I've been to Canada and while they aren't exactly jovial at the border (who would be with so many who try to 'sneak' over) they weren't mean or anything. The US customs was slighly less friendly, btw. And I don't understand how even if it WAS Canadian customs (which it was NOT) why that would make someone feel poorly about the entire country and its occupants. :shock: