Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • delving into the unknown... >
  • delving into the unknown...

• delving into the unknown...

Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Use a larger than normal needle (90/14) and a smaller than normal stitch length (18-20 per inch). That will make larger perforations and closer together - making it easier to remove the paper. Use a very light weight paper.
    Old 01-09-2015, 08:55 AM

Use a tracing wheel...check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqMiC1_JdqQ, buy some freezer paper, toss the add-a rulers and do it by eye. You save trees, time, can reuse the pattern, make fewer mistakes, are less apt to distort the block because no paper to rip away (or your hair) because this is the way to go. P.S. If you lightly press the freezer paper to regular copy paper and trim it carefully...you can get it to print on a copier and this saves even more; just be sure the leading edge is secure.
    Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM
    Power Poster

I use tissue paper for gift wrapping (the light). Most of the sheets are 20x30. I have sheets from the inside of shoes from buying few pair. I sometimes use the darker but only on darker fabric of course. Doesn't matter though if you're going to tear the paper away after trimming.
    Old 01-09-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
    I haven't tried it yet, but I've wondered about using a lightweight fabric (something like a very thin muslin) instead of paper so you don't have to remove it. Thought that would also enable using those "too thin" fabrics we all seem to have a few of.
    If you use carol doaks paper it is super easy to remove, a lot easier than copy paper
    Old 01-09-2015, 01:58 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I use tissue paper for gift wrapping (the light). Most of the sheets are 20x30. I have sheets from the inside of shoes from buying few pair. I sometimes use the darker but only on darker fabric of course. Doesn't matter though if you're going to tear the paper away after trimming.
    I have a friend who uses tissue paper for paper piecing and doesn't remove the paper. Tissue paper basically dissolves in water so she just washes the quilt when she's finished with it and waa-laa! the paper is gone.

Cari
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM

My best tip is: Take your time and make sure you follow the instructions when you get to the more complicated patterns.
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM

Wow! So many tips! Thanks everyone.

I was reading a site last night that said not to stitch around the outer edge once the block is complete, but didn't go on to explain why. Anyone have any thoughts as to why??
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:42 PM
    Power Poster

I would highly recommend Carol Doak's class on Craftsy. I pp many simple blocks not just the tricky ones. I like to use lightweight vellum paper. It goes through the printer and so easy to remove.
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM

I tend to bypass video tutorials - I have the worlds worst internet!!!!! Even Thailand has better internet than I do! I live in a little hamlet, 10km from the nearest "town" which isn't much bigger, but because I'm more than 4.5kms from the nearest exchange, I can't have anything but satellite - which only gives me 2gb! Can you believe it, in this day and age???

So I tend to stick to written instructions, diagrams and the like...
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:56 PM

Don't remove the paper until your quilt is all put together so nothing on "bias" is messed up.

The "add a quarter ruler" is the best investment you can make in my opinion. Here's a link to the original designer of the ruler (not related to her in any way but have emailed with her and she is great!)

https://www.addaquarter.com/products.php

I use copy paper and run the designs thru the copier or the printer...run all you need at one time so you don't have to worry if the print % gets adjusted as that will make your patterns off from each other (not good at all when they do that)

a dab of washable school glue stick on the first piece will hold it in place while you arrange your next piece.

if you aren't sure of an "angle" when placing your fabric, lay your fabric down and "pin" on the sewing line....flip your piece as if it was sewn and double check that all is ok.

Be fearless & stitch on!