Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Denim quilts >
  • Denim quilts

• Denim quilts

Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM

Wow! MUCH better ideas than buying from eBay, paying for shipping, and having to wait for the fabric to arrive. There are always plenty of yard sales around, and I pluck through them for books and buttons and such, but hadn't thought of jeans...DUH :?

Sarah ~
    I'll definitely check in with my family and see what they have, but all of us have moved in the past 2-3 years, and you know how folks clean out then! The thrift store got heaps of stuff from all of us.

June ~
    My neighborhood is busy folks in their individual condos. We've lived here a year and a half and only know the names of three people. We can go for days and never see anyone else come or go. Sad isn't it?

But yard sales...there are always plenty of those around :D Your suggestion is right on time...there will probably be some biggies over the holiday weekend. Will be sure to stick to larger jeans and avoid those worn out knees! I did a little math, and it looks like 8-1/2" circle will let me use a 6" square in the middle, so your dinner plate size sounds just right, doesn't it?

Dawn ~
    Wow, your guild is something! I don't belong to one, but I can see where there are a lot of benefits to shopping with a crowd...

Ruth ~
    Another great yard sale idea from the Bargain Queen :) I'll keep an eye out for groovy cotton shirts...maybe I'll luck into some Hawaiian prints or something. It's going to take a while for me to collect, cut and piece the denim, so there's plenty of time to collect a whole theme on something. Will check in with hubby-to-be and see what he'll like.

Great ideas y'all, many thanks for saving me from eBay!!

~Crystal

Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    Wish I could have found out about the spring and electric scissors before cutting 10 pairs of jeans on my denim quilt. My hands were SORE!

My suggestions:

*I'd use a heavy duty needle since you're going to be working with thicker fabric. You might not really need it (I'm not sure since I'm not an expert at the durability of needles on certain fabrics), but I'd use it just to be safe so you don't have to worry about your needle breaking in the middle of a seam trying to stitch through two layers of denim. If you own a Singer it'd be a Style 2020 Size 80/118 needle.

*If you plan on getting denim thread, remember to get several spools of it since there's only 164m of it instead of the usual 274m. It goes by real fast! I'd at least get one spool for your machine and another just for bobbin winding. I got the denim thread because the regular "all-purpose" thread looked too thin to be able to hold two thick layers of denim together without breaking.
    I am wondering about thread size <g>
    Would upholstery thread be effective, also?<wave>
    Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 PM

I go to garage sales, rummage sales and used clothing stores. I scored big today, I got a brown paper grocery sack of bluejeans for $00.50 !!! Probably the deal of the month!!!! :lol:
    Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM

I have made this circle quilt from the site that was posted. I begged old jeans from co workers and my sons' friends. I, (stupidly) took apart all the seams and then cut each 6 inch circle by hand. DH helped draw and cut circles. I then used 4 inch squares in the centers of the circles. I made it very large...400 six inch circles. :) Using denim is a really good way to "recycle" and makes for an extremely heavy quilt. I used denim needles and cotton thread. Good luck on your denim quilt and post pics of yours. (If you look at my avatar it is the denim quilt I made. Also, I have posted pics of mine on the board.)

P.S. I also cut the pockets out of Levi's and used them for the center of the quilt where the squares go. :D
    Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM

One thing you could try is to go to a local thrift store when they have a sale, sometimes you can get jeans; or, better yet, large denim skirts for next to nothing.
    Also, let all your friends, neighbours, relatives, etc. that you would like any jeans that they would otherwise throw out.