Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Design Wall...Do You Have One? >
  • Design Wall...Do You Have One?

• Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:01 AM
    DJ

Originally Posted by shaverg
    Mine is made from a 4'x6' foam core board from Home depot covered in a thin batting or you can use white felt. I hang it on the wall with the 3M hooks that stick to the wall, but can be removed without damage. It is great. Probably cost under $10.00 total. The nice thing is it will just hold your squares or you can pin them on it because it is about 1/2" thick.

Use mine all the time.
    What did you use on the back of the foam core board to hang it on the wall? I'm ready to go on mine! Thanks for all the great suggestions here!
    Old 03-24-2010, 06:31 AM

I have a wall of flannel in my sewing room that I use every time I make a quilt. I don't think I could put them together without it. Mine is priceless.
    Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM

I put conduit pipe onto a shelf over my kitchen window then pin the backing onto that and spray. At the bottom I place a strip of wood to hold it down taunt
    Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM

My design wall is two vinyl table cloths with the fuzzy stuff on the back. I pinned them together and then pinned them to the wall i my sewing room. I have to use a step ladder if I'm doing a large quilt. Don't know how I ever got along without it.
    Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Irish Jan
    Yes I have one - it is a folded cutting and pattern cardboard that I got at Joanne's I covered it with flannel and use it and when done Just fold it up and store it in the closet or if I have to use it for pattern cutting - just take off the flannel. it is great/
    i have one of those boards that i bought for just that purpose but haven't done it yet because i wasn't sure how to go about it. do you stand it up on the table or use binder clips to hang it on the wall? how did you attach the flannel? inquiring minds want-no need- to know!!!!
    Old 03-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Katrine
    I dont have any suitable wall space except for our landing, as we have lots of sloping ceilings - so hubby put some cup hooks along the length at the top. I stapled warm and natural over a length of dowelling, dropped it into the hooks and now have the whole length, and height, of that wall. Fabrics hold on it, I only put pins in if something is heavy. It's great because every time I walk past I can move something around.
    I haven't figured out where to put one yet with the sloping ceiling problem, small room, no wall space (lots of doors or furniture), but I did buy some gray felt made just for that. I think it's about 8'x8' and the idea is that the gray is totally neutral and shouldn't effect the colors displayed on it. I would like to get it in use. I think it would be great!
    Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
    Banned

Ok I think I will go to the dollar store and see if they have a table cloth. thank you all for your ideas. Penny
    Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 AM

MY girls made mine, it is on a frame covered with flannel
    and covers a wall in my sewing room, yep I have a extra bedroom just for my sewing room. As I load up my camper for the summer job with the CORP I am sad I don't have room for my wall. LOL
    Old 03-25-2010, 06:51 AM

DJ, what is a OBW? I am not quite up on some of these terms. Thanks. Linda

:?:[/quote]One Block Wonder
    Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM

would never be without one again. when i moved to the basement, the only thing that i liked was that i had big walls. i have a design wall now that's the size of that wall itself. 12' wide and 8+ ' high. not only does the work go faster and you see things better, but it reminds you to get going.