Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Design wall ideas Anyone? >
  • Design wall ideas Anyone?

• Design wall ideas Anyone?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:10 AM

I use a flannel backed table cloth also. You can stick it to your wall with the Command strips. No damage to your walls an it can be removed when you want. Your pieces should stick to the flannel with no problem.
    Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 AM

I purchased 108 flannel from Wal-mart for a quilt back, but did not like the way it looked when I washed it, so I stretched it across a wall in my sewing room, and it makes a great design wall. I went and purchased another three yards, so now I have a travel one I use when I go for my annual retreat.
    Old 06-02-2015, 03:26 AM

I attached flannel to some strapping and tacked it to my wall. The fabric just sticks to it but sometimes I need to pin if I've sewn pieces together because they weigh more. It's worked fine for me
    Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 AM

When we moved into our new home 10 years ago, I bought fleece and covered one wall with it--overlapping it at the seam line and sewing it together. I then took a thin piece of lathing and nailed it into the wall at ceiling level with the fleece held taut in it. The fleece is still on the wall and works wonderfully to keep my quilt pieces or blocks in place. The holes are tiny and can be easily painted over when we go to a retirement home.
    Old 06-02-2015, 04:01 AM

I would think a good piece of fleece would also work well to stick your blocks to.
    Old 06-02-2015, 04:29 AM

Grammahunt. I have one of the4X8 sheets and covered with flannel and it works wonderfully. I seldom need more space. The other side of your "argument" is that this will last for years and years. I inherited my from my sister-in-law who was a super quilter. The panel was old when I got it 10 years ago. It is at least 20 years old and still working well, has not broken down and is easy to move from place to place if needed. I would pass up on some other quilting materials, fabric, books or what ever and save the $$ for the insulation. For me... it would be worth it!
    Old 06-02-2015, 04:43 AM

The insulation board I used is 5/8 or maybe 3/4 inch....just measure it. I found it at Lowe's at two prices....$12 and $14. You don't need it two inches thick. I made mine five years ago, covered it with Warm and Natural, using duck tape, and I just lean mine against the wall. It isn't permanent. But it sure works for me!!

I hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Dina
    Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 AM

Flannel backed table cloths work great. I have one that some blocks have resided on for over a year and they haven't come off yet.
    Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 AM

I stretched a king size flannel bed sheet onto my old fashioned quilt frame. It is four long sticks (1 X 3), bolted together at the corners. If there is nothing pinned to it, it collapses. But the flannel sheet pinned to it makes it sturdy and square. I found that I had to spray adhesive onto it to make it hold my pieces up. Now I have my finished large-queen sized quilt on it and I can look at every day until my next project is ready to use the wall.

The adhesive is non-permanent, so needs to be steamed to rejuvenate the adhesive properties.
    Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 AM

I bought a large sheet of insulation that is sold at HD and similar stores, covered it with the design wall material that I bought at the quilt shop, it has grids in it so you can line things up perfectly. I've been using it for years and I love that pins stick right into the board with no problem.