Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Desperately need help with longarm quilting a batik >
  • Desperately need help with longarm quilting a batik

• Desperately need help with longarm quilting a batik

Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

Default Desperately need help with longarm quilting a batik

I'm trying to get the tension right on my longarm for quilting a batik top and backing. The bottom is too loose but when I tighten the top tension it causes ripples in the top and the bottom is still too loose. I'm using King Tut 40 wt,3 ply in the bobbin and top. I adjusted the tension on the bobbin but it didn't seem to make any difference on the rippling. I'm also using a titanium #18 needle. The first pic is the back (I did more stitching with white bobbin so the stitches would show better), the next two are the front with the rippling. This is all done on test fabric.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by joyce888; 12-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.
    Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

When you did the sample, did you put any tension on the sides, or just attach the scraps to the top & bottom rollers? I'm wondering if that slight rippling you see is because the side clamps were not used.
    Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

Have you watched the Jamie Wallen video? Here is a link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Basically you want to adjust your bobbin first, then adjust your top tension. My thinking is that the bobbin tension is too tight for the thread you are using. King Tut is quite a thick thread. If you can't loosen the bobbin tension enough for King Tut, you might want to consider using a different (lighter weight) thread in the bobbin.

Also, what *type* of needle are you using? I believe Superior Threads recommends a topstitch needle, and I think I have seen sharp and jeans type needles recommended for batiks. Maybe someone here will have a link to needle choices for batik.
    Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM

I second everything Prism said. I would also suggest that you check the tension on your quilt sandwich. I find that if I have it TOO taut, that my stitch quality goes south. Seems the tighter the quilt tension, the more the threads tighten up - sort of like a Chinese finger puzzle! Hang in there! And remember, you are learning troubleshoot for next time!
    Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM
    Power Poster

I am not a longarmer but the thread seems thick to me. The thicker the thread, the more delay as it punches through the material and batiks are dense.
    Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 AM

All advice already given is good. Other thoughts:

Tighten your bobbin first. Set your top tension to the lowest setting, start sewing. Increase the tension gradually until you get the tension where you want it, This works well for me. Having said that, I don't use King Tut thread so my advice may be useless.

Another thought - is your bobbin case possibly broken? That happened to me once. One of the tiny screws in it had been chipped somehow. The bobbin case had to be replaced.

Another time, the bobbin itself was bent inward just a tiny bit, but it was enough to throw off the quilting.