• DH approved a Longarm-Now what?

• DH approved a Longarm-Now what?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:04 AM

No idea, but he sounds like a keeper!
    Old 04-18-2010, 01:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    No idea, but he sounds like a keeper!
    LOL, I was just about to ask if you lend him out, I could do with someone telling me that I can have a longarm.
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:53 AM

lis the 16 enough room i was thinking about the 26 inch because thats the biggest area to quilt i have a janome and i only get 5 inches so i cant do any fun designs
    there is a long arm show coming to kc,Mo. (kansas city missouri) in may i am going to check them out dh said i could get on also

mema
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 AM

What a sweetie! I think that it depends on how much you have to spend. If cost is no object, then go ahead and get a Gammill. For me, I fell in love with the Tin Lizzie LS. It is a well thought out machine and is just what I needed at an affordable cost (for us). Also, Tin Lizzie makes a lot of the other machines, so I figured that I was better off buying from the manufacturer. I got my 'Lizzie' in October and am very happy with her. She is set up at 10 feet long, my DH gave up his study/ office space to accomodate the full length. I like the wood frame too. It looks very nice and is easy to operate and adjust and it is very stable. Good luck in your search, it will be fun and your quilting life will never be the same again!
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 AM

I have the Voyager and am very happy with it. DH conspired with some of my friends and picked it out. My biggest problem is no dealer anywhere near me, but they are good to answer e-mails and help. He splurged and got the stitch regulator, something I couldn't do without.
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by rhondakp
    My DH has told me I can purchase a longarm. He wants me to get what I want now so I don't have to purchase something different down the road. I have test drove the HQ Avante (and fell in love), a Gammill, Nolting Fun Quilter & Voyager. I still want to test drive the Tin Lizzie for sure. Would like to hear from others what they like and what they found when they were looking for their first. That is longarm and not DH! lol
    Another place for info is the machine quilters show is in Kansas City the week of May 10th. You can test drive and talk to sales people all day! That is where last year I decided on the Fun Quilter.

http://www.imqa.org/MQSHome.htm
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 AM

I test drove a Tin Lizzie when I went to the quilting show not to long ago. I likes the fact that it did not look so bulky, it was very smooth and the people were great. The Gammils where to big and I did break the thread when I was using it. ( the lady was not very happy with me and did not let me continue plus the machines were very bulky and looked industrial to me. something I do not like if I have to have it in a common area which I probably will have to do. have fun shopping. I am envious but am looking forward to your post to see which one you choose. :)
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Everything I've ever seen about the A1 is positive. Do they make a smallish machine?

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
    If you want a longarm, go for an A1. We bought a Gammill Classic before we test drove the A1. After that, we wished we had got the A1. Go to Paducah or some other show & drive it. You'll definitely love it.
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM

I love my A1!! That said, buying a longarm is like buying a car. Test drive them all. What works for me may not work for you.

Ask around on features. One that came with the A1 was the ergo lift. There are 4 of us who use the machine, with about a foot difference in height. We knew that we'd need it because of that. But, I change the height a lot. Sometimes just an inch or two can give my back or arms a break.

Good luck in your search!
    Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM

i dont think i kwould go for a wooden frame the vibration of quilting will loosen the joints