Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • DH asks silly questions >
  • DH asks silly questions

• DH asks silly questions

Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glenda m
    I remember sewing on my grandmothers treadle when I was about 5 or 6. I made my dolly's clothes. Later when I started having the kids, made most of their clothes and today I make all of my husbands shirts. Thats easy, he likes black western with snaps. LOL My grandmother and great aunt had made a broken Lone Star. I always want to make one, but by the time I started, they had both passed and I couldn't figure out how to do it. Finally found a pattern and have been busy ever since. Made a few different tops, but always come back the the Lone Star. Besides reading to relax, I have started doing genelogy and that in itself is addictive!!! Any Wrights, Hornsbys or VanCleaves out there? LOL
    After Christmas I am getting ready to start my husbands Lone Star. I made one years ago and it was just the star. My aunt took it home to sew it onto the backing material and I never saw her or the quilt again.
    Old 12-08-2010, 06:05 AM

I think the sewing bug hit when my sister and Mom made clothes for my Tiny Tears for Christmas '55. The last doll I got was a Ginny doll, and I started to make clothes for her by hand from scraps leftover from my school dresses. No pattern, just freehanded them.
    Old 12-08-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by judi wess
    I think the sewing bug hit when my sister and Mom made clothes for my Tiny Tears for Christmas '55. The last doll I got was a Ginny doll, and I started to make clothes for her by hand from scraps leftover from my school dresses. No pattern, just freehanded them.
    That is truly amazing that you just made the clothes with no pattern or instructions. I worked with a woman, a long time ago, that would see something she liked and go home and make a pattern; then sew the garment. I love to sew, but I need guidance. I will take liberties with a pattern, but I've got to have the original guide. You are gifted!
    Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 AM

No, no, no, never had the talent to draw patterns, just played with the fabric to make it work. Very few preconceived ideas. I will have a melt down without the patterns, worksheets etc. now.
    Old 12-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
    Originally Posted by mzsooz
    I was 6. I got a cute little kids Electric Singer for Christmas and my dad taught me how to sew troll doll clothes and barbie clothes. I've never stopped sewing. :D
    I loved my troll doll. He had the greenest hair you ever saw.
    One of my trolls had orange hair and the other had yellow. We made clothes for them out of felt.
    Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm like Deema, no one sewed in my family. A few years ago i decided I wanted to make something warm and cozy for loved ones. DH says I like to feed people and keep them warm. ;-)
    Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Awhile back my dh asked me "why do you sew? Nobody sews anymore." Hmmm? My reply was I don't know, its what I do, its what we do. We being my family. Ive always done it. My first sewing machine was a holly hobby battery operated. I was around 7 or 8. By the time I was a preteen I was crocheting also. Embroidery and cruel, chicken scrathes, In high school I helped teach the needleworks class. Was the president of the Future homemakers of America Club.

Then I got to thinking, I've always had the obsession with linen also. Even before I started quilting, I've only been quilting about 8 yrs. But my linen obsession has been a life long thing. I can remember going through moms linen closest and loving how it smelled, the pretty colors, the softer sheets, flannel, grannies quilts. As I got older and had my own home I started buying tons of linen, couldnt get enough sheets or blankets in the house. I would keep every little scrap of fabric from my sewing projects like curtains, halloween costumes. So my thinking is it must be genetic, or somehow what I'm supposed to do, my purpose. I imagine the my genetic dna strand looks like knotted threads or scrappy irish chain quilt.

How old were you when the obsession started?
    I also love fabrics - while selling antiques I fell in love(again!) - first with old quilts, feed sacks, & lace(have a collection-hand done) etc. Last summer came across 6 yards of Irish linen which I purchased at a great price ! Hopefully will get some embroidered (redwork-days of the week) as gifts Christmas.
    Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Awhile back my dh asked me "why do you sew? Nobody sews anymore." Hmmm? My reply was I don't know, its what I do, its what we do. We being my family. Ive always done it. My first sewing machine was a holly hobby battery operated. I was around 7 or 8. By the time I was a preteen I was crocheting also. Embroidery and cruel, chicken scrathes, In high school I helped teach the needleworks class. Was the president of the Future homemakers of America Club.

Then I got to thinking, I've always had the obsession with linen also. Even before I started quilting, I've only been quilting about 8 yrs. But my linen obsession has been a life long thing. I can remember going through moms linen closest and loving how it smelled, the pretty colors, the softer sheets, flannel, grannies quilts. As I got older and had my own home I started buying tons of linen, couldnt get enough sheets or blankets in the house. I would keep every little scrap of fabric from my sewing projects like curtains, halloween costumes. So my thinking is it must be genetic, or somehow what I'm supposed to do, my purpose. I imagine the my genetic dna strand looks like knotted threads or scrappy irish chain quilt.

I also love fabrics - while selling antiques I fell in love(again!) - first with old quilts, feed sacks, & lace(have a collection-hand done) etc. Last summer came across 6 yards of Irish linen which I purchased at a great price ! Hopefully will get some embroidered (redwork-days of the week) as gifts for Christmas.
    Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 PM

I must have been very young. My mother said that when I was a toddler, she could keep track of by just listening, as I was always talking. However, when I was quiet, I was into something, and it was usually her quilt scraps. I still love scraps of fabric. It pains me to throw away even the smallest scrap. My husband cannot understand this obsession.
    Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM

I want to say from birth! As far back as I remember, I could never get enough. My dad did woodworking, my aunt taught me to knit. When I was 6, my eldest sister got married and moved to Michigan. She got a job a Simplicity Pattern Co. and I began sewing. I was 7 when she had her first baby and I made my first quilt for him. It was tied, but a quilt none the less. I can't remember a time when I didn't have projects in the works. Sewing, knitting, crochet, macrame, weaving (loom), basketweaving, tatting, and of course my passion...quilting.