Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • DHG-help needed >
  • DHG-help needed

• DHG-help needed

Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 PM

Default DHG-help needed

I have made a disappearing hour glass, no problems with bias edges it actually came together pretty easily, apart from a few 'operator errors' lol. Colour is not singing to me, its very neutral, but its for a very dear friend and her colour palette in her house is neutral. Question- how to quilt? I quilt on dsm, please help by giving me suggestions on ways to quilt to make the best of the pattern.
    Old 11-09-2014, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

Do you have stencils you can lay across a couple blocks and get an idea as to which ones might work. SID might be a little too much but without a photo or pull it up and checkout others who've done the same pattern and maybe you'll see one you like or a couple different combos.
    Old 11-09-2014, 02:51 PM
    Power Poster

I quilted a line a quarter inch away from the star & accent diamonds then did a swirly fill ( a stipple would work well) in the background areas. I did a continuous curve in the star. There's a closeup in my post:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t251739.html

My hat is off to you dealing with the bias edges! No matter what I do (starch etc.) I stretch them all out of shape... I wish I could master this technique, it's so much quicker.
    Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 PM

i guess it depends on your batting - i always use the WN that allows for 10" between quilting lines. I've done 4 DHG -all different colors (love this pattern) and quilted them all the same on my DSM....diagonally both ways through the center of the stars - then SITD horizontally and vertically "outlining" each block. I don't do any FMQ so that's my method. Please post a photo - would love to see your quilt !!
    Old 11-12-2014, 11:34 AM
    Power Poster

I have mine on my design wall as I contemplate my designs right now. I would like to SITD the pattern but that would mean using my walking foot and turning the quilt a million times. I am thinking of doing a flower design that I could FMQ. I think I will use a variegated thread in the colours from the blocks so it shows up. This is a hand drawn trial that I think I might use. An Orange Peel design in the center squares and then flower petals using the star points. If you like it,it can be FMQ in one continuous design. The block pattern is drawn in red with the quilting lines in blue.

Attached Thumbnails image.jpg