Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Diagonal stripes >
  • Diagonal stripes

• Diagonal stripes

Old 03-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Default Diagonal stripes

Does anyone have any suggestions on matching stripes diagonally. They match up just fine and really look good on my design board but when I sew them together the lines are always way off.
    Thanks for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails stripes.jpg  
    Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 PM
    Power Poster

I ran into a pattern similar that matched up perfectly without seams but with the seam allowance sewn, nothing matched. I did not find a solution.
    Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM

I don't know how you would do that unless there was an offset incorporated into the instructions to compensate for the seam allowances. Sorry - math is definitely not my strong suit so I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that either.
    Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM

I would "fussy cut" each square, matching the patch corner points ie the points that are 1/4" in from the edges, then add the 1/4 in seams when cutting that one patch. A lot of templates, like Jinny Beyer, have a pin hole drilled in their templates at this point to focus on sewing from pin hole to pin hole and ignoring the seam allowance.
    Old 03-11-2017, 06:41 PM

I'm kind of confused. In your picture, it looks like you have 3 fabrics sewn diagonally: a white fabric, a pink and blue print, and a yellow print. Then you have cut it into squares. Am I correct so far? And now you want to sew the squares together, with the seams matching. But why? Wouldn't your top then look exactly as it did before you cut it into squares? I guess I don't understand what look you're going for....
    Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 PM
    Power Poster

I am confused too.
    Old 03-12-2017, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I'm kind of confused. In your picture, it looks like you have 3 fabrics sewn diagonally: a white fabric, a pink and blue print, and a yellow print. Then you have cut it into squares. Am I correct so far? And now you want to sew the squares together, with the seams matching. But why? Wouldn't your top then look exactly as it did before you cut it into squares? I guess I don't understand what look you're going for....
    Yes there are 3 fabric strips sewn together. This is the tube method. Two 2 1/2 strips sewn together with a 4 1/2 strip sewn into a tube. They are cut diagonally to create the triangles that make up the blocks. It creates a diagonal square in a square without having to sew them together diagonally. I am just trying different placements of the triangles for a different look. I like the stripes just can't get them sewn together. Probably didn't explain that very well. Do a YouTube search on tube quilting, that will help you understand what I am trying to do.
    Thanks for trying to help!
    Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I meant squares not triangles in my first reply.
    Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 AM

Just watched a couple videos on youtube on how to my continuous bias tape and between the two videos one stated to mark your 1/4" all along each edge and then make a hash mark at every diagonal line, then put your pin at these crosshairs. Worked like a charm for me as it didn't look like it would match up to me at first. Every line matched up though so I'm thrilled. 1st time making bias seam binding.
    Old 03-12-2017, 06:05 AM
    Gay

I'm kinda baffled too. Why not just sew strips together, on the diagonal and be done?