Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600? >
  • Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

• Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM
    mac

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    Assuming it works, the machine was a bargain! I've had a 6600 for several years and love it. The only trouble I really ever had was free motion quilting. But it sews beautifully. As others said, you can use the start/stop button. Or if you have other Janome machines, you can probably use the pedal/cord from one of them. Enjoy it!
    So you have trouble with free motion quilting? I was hoping with the accufeed it was going to be helpful for that. But, come to think of it, I guess that is a whole different ball of wax.
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:17 AM
    mac

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    How does the seller know it works if they had no plug or foot peddle? I would only buy a plug to test to limit extra cost and use the stop start button to check it's working.
    I hope it is all you require as the model is an exciting machine.
    Apparently he had a power cord that worked. I did find that interesting, since he didn't have any knowledge of sewing machines.

I did look at his rating, which was 100% and I did look at his other items that he was selling. None of them were sewing machines. I asked him (after I bought it) how he came about the machine and he said that he got it in one of those 'storage' bids.
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM

I bought the Janome 6500 a little over a month ago from Sewing Machines Plus and paid a little over $1400 so I would say you got a good deal. Having another Janome I have dual attachments now in case I ever loose or break one. Having said that I would say you got a bargain on the 6600. Wonder why the foot pedal wasn't with the machine??
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 AM
    mac

[QUOTE=Kris P;7623738]I think you got a GREAT deal! The 6600 has an on/off button, so I never, ever use my foot pedal. I only dig it out when my 12 year old daughter uses it. Purchasing all the feet that it normally comes with could be speedy, but when I consider which feet I use, I'd only purchase the open toe accufeed foot, 1/4" foot with metal edge, zipper foot, standard foot and open embroidery foot, oh, and the fmq foot... You'll still come out ahead. I regularly see 6600 machines on craigslist for anywhere from $800

That is really good to know which feet that you usually use. Thanks.
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 AM

I think you got a bargain. It was an expensive machine not to long ago. I love mine, it has a lot of really good features, and sews beautifully. I would have it serviced and then it will last you for years
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 AM
    Power Poster

I don't have one. I have read on here that a lot of people have one and how nice they are to sew on.
    Fix it up and use it. From what others have said, you should be happy with it.
    Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mac
    Apparently he had a power cord that worked. I did find that interesting, since he didn't have any knowledge of sewing machines.
    I think I had a Bernina or Janome with a power cord was very common. I actually think I had a boom box or stereo or some such thing that took the same cord, so this is probably what was used to test it.
    I know someone with this machine, bought it new when they first came out for $1200 (I actually think they cost more now). Never any problems with it and just loves it, so if it works I think you got a great deal.
    Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Assuming the machine works my Janome 6600 is my favorite machine. I have a fancier Janome but I like the 6600 better. Hope it works out for you.
    Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 AM

I just looked on ebay...there are two bids on a Janome 6600...current bid $876.00. The bid could go higher. I'd say you got a good deal.
    Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac
    So you have trouble with free motion quilting? I was hoping with the accufeed it was going to be helpful for that. But, come to think of it, I guess that is a whole different ball of wax.
    Don't fret about FMQing with the 6600!!
    ..... until I had my 6600, I thought FMQing was absolutely impossible.
    THE 6600 is what got me hooked on FMQing.

FYI the Accufeed is not for your FMQing. However, the Accufeed is a great asset when doing straight/line quilting.

For FMQing, there is a special set of feet and a blue dot bobbin case that you can buy that really help make a difference.

Like many have already said ... the 6600 is a true workhorse and I can't say enough good about this machine. Hopefully, before long you will be saying many of the same positive comments about your new machine.

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-10-2016 at 04:00 PM.