Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did I make a mistake? >
  • Did I make a mistake?

• Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 AM

Wow......I always use poly/poly blend batting there is nothing wrong with it. If I were to make a quilt with a large amount of intricate quilting that was going to be the focus of the quilt I would probably use cotton. But shhhhhh don't tell anybody but I sometimes tie my quilts too. :-0
    Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 AM
    Power Poster

Towels or fleece are usually preferred by shelters since they wash so easily but I have found that shelters usually accept anything. As someone wanting to improve their FMQ, I think it is a brilliant idea. Yes, go ahead and use the poly. I have a friend who makes dog beds for shelters. She collects ALL our tiny pieces of fabric from quilting that normally would be thrown out. Hope she can use an old worn blanket. I prefer to recycle as much as I can.
    Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 AM

​I say go ahead and use the poly batting, sounds like a great practice batting and you are getting something useful out of it. It washes up just fine, go for it!
    Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 AM

The only batting I have ever used is traditional poly batting. We don't have a need for really warm quilts (excluding this past winter, of course). I've tied, hand quilted, and machine quilted easily. Quilts that I've made twenty years ago are still in good condition after being used and washed often.
    Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 AM

If it's for your animal shelter, I was told by the staff that as long it is washable, they will take it.

I make the pet blankets for our local shelter and they seem most appreciative of what I have given them.

Serita

Originally Posted by ocydroma
    I'm new to sewing/quilting. I bought a brother SQ 9050 sewing/quilting machine. One of the main reason I bought this machine is to learn to FMQ. So I came up with the idea to make dog and cat beds and crate pads while learning. I have been reading up on batting and it seems as though poly holds up well under frequent washing. These pads would probably have to be washed weekly or biweekly. A quilting person I have recently met told me I made a horrible decision. Should never use poly. I got a huge roll for dirt cheap. In my mind it made sense. Practice FMQ and the critters get comfy places to lay down and sleep. If this is a bad idea, what can I use the poly for? I know it's suppose to be good during the cold since it doesn't breath like natural fibers which is fine with me when it's cold. So can I use it for table runners? wall hanging? Anything? I'm just trying to find something to do with it. I will feel like a total idiot if there's no use for it.

Thanks for reading!!
    Old 06-02-2014, 05:52 AM

My local shelter loves towels too.

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter
    I think I know why she told you not to use poly for the animal beds. It is because when they get washed they are washed in HOT water, and dried on HIGH heat. This can cause the poly to lose its fluff factor. When I have done blankets for the shelter I have used old cotton bath towels I pick up from goodwill as batting. They are inexpensive, and hold up very well to extreme washing ! I have never had trouble FMQ these with a large-ish stipple, but I would avoid anything too complex. As for the poly batting use it in quilts !! Use it in wall hangings, use it in anything you need batting for !
    Old 06-02-2014, 06:20 AM

I use poly batting my pet's beds that I make. Have fun sewing.
    Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 AM
    Power Poster

I have made pet quilts for my own and others and I have used poly for all of them. I got the batting at an estate sale. Used scraps and everyone likes them. The poly works great. Your friend may have had a bad experience for whatever reason and that may be why she made that statement.
    Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 AM

I have the same experience with our shelter. They have told me they will take anything but it needs to be washable.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Towels or fleece are usually preferred by shelters since they wash so easily but I have found that shelters usually accept anything. As someone wanting to improve their FMQ, I think it is a brilliant idea. Yes, go ahead and use the poly. I have a friend who makes dog beds for shelters. She collects ALL our tiny pieces of fabric from quilting that normally would be thrown out. Hope she can use an old worn blanket. I prefer to recycle as much as I can.
    Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM

Put that person on ignore for life. You chose well, the poly will hold up for next to forever!