Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did I make a mistake? >
  • Did I make a mistake?

• Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 AM
    Power Poster

It's fine to use the poly for animal beds. In my experience, polyester batting does not hold up as well as cotton when subjected to repeated machine washing and drying; however, it still holds up for a very long time (years). It will last long enough for the animal shelter to get lots of use out of the bedding.
    Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM

I prefer cotton batting but that's just what it is - a preference. One kind is not necessarily better than the other. If I'm making something that is more disposable than a quilt then I don't think the batting makes much difference. If I put a lot of work and money into piecing and quilting a quilt that is going to be used by people then I'm not going to scrimp on the batting. If I'm making place mats, wall hanging and such then I'm more likely to use a less expensive batting. I save all my scraps of batting and sew them together. I think it's harder to sew poly batting together. Cotton is very easy to piece so in the long run maybe I'm not spending that much more for batting because none goes to waste.

Relax, use your batting, improve your free motion skills in the process and have some fun.
    Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 AM

I use both and my kitties are not the least bit offended with the poly over the cotton. Also find that if quilted to mfg. suggestions will wash and dry up just fine. I have some quilts given to me (poly batt) that are at least 40 years old and still doing just fine.
    Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM

There are no batting police either! Use what you have and if you don't like it when it's all gone get something else. No need to let people rain on your parade or your batting!
    Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 PM
    Power Poster

Although I have not used it myself, I cannot see why she said it would be a bad choice. If you are just making doggie beds I would think it would be fine. Doggies don't care, and the people taking care of them will be thrilled to get them. Go ahead and use them for learning. Then later, if you feel you want to get something else, go ahead.
    Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM

It is for the a critters. They don't care what you use. USE it.. I use anything and everything in the dog quilts/beds.. They have not complained once. LOL
    Old 06-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses and support!! The beds and crate pads will be for my dogs and cats until I feel I can make quality one for rescue. My dogs are only in their crates at night and when we're not home to keep them out of trouble when we aren't home. Our dogs love their crates and will sleep in them during the day by their own choice. I have whippets, pharoah hounds and a greyhound so they are all short haired dogs. I always wash their bedding in cold and depending on what it is I air dry them. Sorry to ramble about my critters. I'm bad about that!!

Being new, I want to make good decisions. Glad to know it's good to learn FMQ with it too on a small scale. What I have is Pellon Quilter's Touch. 100% siliconized polyester 60" X 20 yards. The regular price is $99.99. There was a big tear in the plastic and had a small area (3x5) that had something light grey on it. It was the only roll Joann's had. It was on sale for 50% off. I asked the manager if they had more and he said no but would give me a discount on it if I wanted to buy it. He marked it down to $25!!! I couldn't pass it up!!

another quick question. Once it's been basted, can it be ironed? I heard poly melts easily. If you can, what temp should I use?

You our have no idea how much I appreciate you guys taking time to answer my very newb questions. This group has the best people on it EVER!!!!
    Old 06-03-2014, 04:02 AM

It's your life...use what you want for whatever you want...you decide...accept other's ideas ...listen....learn...but in the end it is still your decision..... I use both ....depends on what i'm working on but it is still MY CHOICE.
    Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 AM

I have been quilting for at least 40 years and have not found any batting that I couldn't use. I have more than enough bed size quilts to last me the rest of my life. I make an average of 21 Linus Quilts a month at least half of which are fleece. The other half are child friendly prints with a flannel backing. I purchase rolls of poly batting to make my Linus quilts. I know that the majority of them will end up in households that don't know how to care for handwork so they are simply machine quilted. The smaller quilts that I use as throws over our wing chairs and cover ups for watching TV etc. are all made with poly batting. It is light and warm and can take a lot of abuse. I throw all of my quilted things in the washer and dryer and never worry about them. Relax, use whatever fits your budget and your lifestyle.
    Old 06-03-2014, 04:37 AM

I use poly all the time. When I did quilting for other people I always bought the 70 yard rolls of poly batting and none of my customers ever requested any other batting. Use the poly anyway you want. A lot of people prefer it. A lot will use only cotton.