Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much >
  • Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much

• Did you ever love a quilt you gave as a gift to someone so much

Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 PM

toothpick holders are a abig deal. Some of them are worth hundreds of dollars. I had never heard of them but they have a convention all around the US and they have about 600 people who attend. They just call them toothpicks. Really are pretty interesting :roll: :-P
    Old 05-15-2011, 02:10 AM

Awesome quilts...no I hate giving them away.
    Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by jollyquilting
    toothpick holders are a abig deal. Some of them are worth hundreds of dollars. I had never heard of them but they have a convention all around the US and they have about 600 people who attend. They just call them toothpicks. Really are pretty interesting :roll: :-P
    Ok, now I get it, it's about toothpick HOLDERS. I was wondering what anyone on the planet would find so interesting about toothpicks that they'd actually have a convention on them. LOL! :lol:
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mom, I lost my mom on May 1st, this month. My mom was always cold, so I made her a quilt with a wool batting and fleece exterior. She loved this quilt, my last act was to wrap my mom in this quilt. I know that she doesn't need it now, but it helped me to feel she knows she was loved and will be missed dearly.
    Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 AM

A the history goes for centuries. A toothpick was part of a dowry when someone got married and if she got divorced, she was able to keep her toothpick, a cow was not kept or given back. My sister has 504 toothpicks and worth more than 500 a piece and up. Maybe you better look into your moms toothpicks. LOL
    Old 05-15-2011, 12:34 PM

I bought a kit for the Jinny Beyer quilt "Monticello". It turned out absolutely the best quilt I have ever done. I had promised it to my sister to auction off for a charity, but I cried when I actually had to part with it. One day, I'll make another one, but I will keep it, for sure.
    nanac
    Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Ooooh yes. All the time. I have trouble with separation anxiety. LOL
    Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM
    mim

I made -- hand sewed and hand quilted -- a lovely quilt for my MIL who I greatly admired. She treasured it.

She was always afraid that when she died in bed at home, the neighbors would come in and steal it off her dead body. (Remember the movie "never on Sunday"?? ) So every time she felt 'poorly" she would give it back and a couple weeks later I would return it to her. This went on for 20 years until she went into assisted living and I kept it. When she died, I thought a long time about who to pass it on to -- My DH was her only child and he pre-deceased her by 10 years.

My children had theirown quilts and the GDs were not interested in that sort of thing. I gave it to my sister who has children and grandchildren who will treasure it and pass the story on to their children. My sis has it on her bed now.

Mim
    Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM

Too funny! I just had this conversation with two friends yesterday. I made a king size quilt for my sister (commissioned by my bil). I nearly cried when I shipped that quilt off to her. I don't think either her son or daughter are going to want it because it would not be their style.

My friends said, "Tell her to will it back to you." I thought it would be too morbid to do that, but now you have me thinking again...
    Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 AM

All the time! I gave my mother-in-law one that I would love to have back! She is the sweetest soul and I would never ask for it......but I do covet her quilt! Isn't that just horrible? :oops: