Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed? >
  • Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

• Did you ever wonder what happened to your quilt when the recipient passed?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

I never really thought about it. I guess I just assume it will end up with someone who will love it and appreciate it, whether that's family or not.
    Old 03-05-2012, 02:32 PM

I've made several lap quilts for church members who've died. Never though about where they went.

NOW, I'm wondering. Not even sure the surviving family knows where it came from.
    Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
    I believe that I would continue to assume that one of them had it and was treasuring it and leave it at that. Should you ask and find out that it had gone to Goodwill or the garbage you will have bad feelings for a long time. Better to believe that they have it whether they do or not.

Good point!
    Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Unless someone quilts, old quilts are in the category as old blankets, bedspreads, sheets, towels, curtains, etc. when a person dies. Sad, but true. Just so much stuff you have to sell or give away or burn.

Last edited by TanyaL; 03-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
    Power Poster

I think I would just assume it went to someone who will love it. If you ask, you will have to be prepared for an answer you might not like.
    Old 03-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    No, never had that feeling. When I give a quilt to someone, it stops being mine. They are all labeled so the source is never in question and their fate is in someone else's hands entirely, without any regret.

As for nursing homes, extended care facilities and the like, I think saying things are stolen is way too harsh. Most are simply picked up by residents who think they are their own. Most residences require labels on everything for that reason. Dementia is not even close to dishonesty.
    It's not just residents who steal. We had 2 parents in nursing homes for a total of seven years. Some of the staff pretty much take what they want. As for residents with dementia, I doubt they would remove the labels if they accidently picked up a quilt belonging to someone else.
    Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
    I never really thought about it. I guess I just assume it will end up with someone who will love it and appreciate it, whether that's family or not.

Exactly!

Once we gift it is no longer ours and it doesn't matter who ends up with it as long as it is enjoyed by the person receiving it.
    Old 03-05-2012, 03:01 PM

I made a lap quilt for my Aunt a few years ago. When she went on her journey to our ancestors. My cousin asked me if I wanted it back. I told her to send it with Aunt Joe, she would need it to keep her warm on her journey.

To help my Aunt on her journey we placed the quilt, her favorite candies (circus peanuts and those fruit slices covered with sugar) a six pack of Bud Lite, and some scratch offs and a pack of smokes and her Zippo.
    Old 03-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Funny I should read this thread today...I just came home from my Aunt's home where I have just put her into hospice. We had to get her a hospital bed and didn't have bedding that would fit, so, I bought sheets and blanket, but gave her the quilt that my Mom made for my Grandfather over 30 years ago. I wrap up in it sometimes as my sewing room is cold.
    I told her that that was Pop's quilt...and that it's extra soft from lots of washing and use....she loves it and the fact that it belonged to her father.
    Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

I made a lap quilt for my mom some years before she died. I couldn't be there when she died and asked my sister to send the quilt with mom when she was cremated. When we spread the ashes, the quilt will go with her. I guess I thought that the quilt was hers and would remain hers.