Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • digital download pattern >
  • digital download pattern

• digital download pattern

Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 AM

Default digital download pattern

If you purchase a digital pattern can you print it out on paper? I do better with a paper pattern. I find myself having to go back & forth from my machine to the pattern on my computer. Thanks ladies
    Old 06-26-2016, 05:30 AM
    Power Poster

I bought a digital pattern from Shabby Fabric and the instructions printed out fine. I also bought a CD containing 10 years of the magazines Quilter's World and I was able to print out any applique or letter patterns that needed to be traced.
    Old 06-26-2016, 05:52 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I always save a copy but also print out the pattern when I'm ready to use it.
    Old 06-26-2016, 06:00 AM

Yes, you are legally allowed to print for personal use. I've bought plenty of e-patterns & they all print just fine. Only thing is that in some cases you have to either take the printout to a copier to blow it up to proper size (they'll tell you how to do that) or it prints full size & you have to tape it together.

Of course, I've also bought paper patterns that had to be blown up on copier, so it's really no different.
    Old 06-26-2016, 07:22 AM
    Power Poster

Usually I print out about four copies. I print out one to save in my pattern binder, one to use because I mark and highlight part of the pattern to cut and one to have at the sewing machine so I don't have to take the pattern pages around with me. The pdf version is saved in cloud storage.
    Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 AM
    Power Poster

You can also print "Fit to page"
    Originally Posted by Bree123
    Yes, you are legally allowed to print for personal use. I've bought plenty of e-patterns & they all print just fine. Only thing is that in some cases you have to either take the printout to a copier to blow it up to proper size (they'll tell you how to do that) or it prints full size & you have to tape it together.

Of course, I've also bought paper patterns that had to be blown up on copier, so it's really no different.
    Old 06-26-2016, 07:54 AM
    Power Poster

no scaling when you print out templates!!! otherwise they will not be the right size.
    Old 06-26-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    You can also print "Fit to page"
    Yes, you can, but then they'll be the wrong size. Unless you are just using the instructions for reference & not for the pattern pieces, that will change the size of the drawings. I mostly do applique, so I need them to be the correct size. Typically there will be a 1" box at the top of one of the pages that I need to measure to be sure it's actually 1" printed so I know the pattern pieces are the size they were intended to be.
    The other type of pattern I've bought online has been for paper piecing & the same issue is applicable with that.

The only time I'd use "fit to page" is if I was only printing written instructions & a reference picture, and was planning to cut out all my pieces using an acrylic template or die cut or such instead of a paper pattern/template plastic pieces traced from the paper pattern.
    Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 AM

I bought a tablet so I could download directly to it and then stand it by my machine if I needed while I was sewing my project. Easy peasy!
    Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM
    Power Poster

I have a tablet in my sewing room for patterns and watching quilt videos. Tablets are so inexpensive and so useful.