Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Digitally Printed Fabrics >
  • Digitally Printed Fabrics

• Digitally Printed Fabrics

Old 05-02-2023, 06:01 AM

Knock on wood. So far, I haven't had any white runs. I haven't had any issues at all with the digital printed fabric. But, I will say, thus far, I've only made larger projects and none of them have been washed more than once or twice. It is nice (thanks, aashley333) to know that you haven't had any issues with repeated washings.

Most of my newer fabric is the digital printed. It used to be that the quilting sites would label it as being a digital print. But I'm noticing it less and less. The last few times I gotten fabric, it was digital printed, but it was listed on the sites I purchased the yardage from as just 100% cotton. So, I never know what is coming, the regular cotton or the digital printed anymore. I have a feeling that eventually it is all going to be digitally printed fabric. I really have no issue with it, as long as it handles and lasts like regular quilting cotton.

There have been a couple of purchases that when digital printed fabric came out, that they had a different feel to them, but they were off brands. But since, what I have purchased from named brand lines, it feels 'normal'.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-02-2023 at 06:06 AM.
    Old 05-16-2023, 11:35 AM

I used to print my own fabric, but we always used poly-blends. The polyester opens up the its pores when heated and allows the special ink to soak in. When the fabric cools the "pores" close and entrap the ink. This won't work on other fibers. That was about 25 years ago, so they may have come up with some new technologies by now. The poly fabrics could be washed, but it was instructed that they air dry.
    Old 05-19-2023, 04:57 AM

Default Digital Prints

Originally Posted by aashley333
    The hot pads that I made from Spoonflower, which is digitally printed, are washed a lot with no fading! I backed my last quilt with digital fabric with no problems "running". I love it! And am awaiting 2 pieces for backing!
    I will also add a vote of confidence for the Spoonflower company I had a family photo printed on fabric by them and I made a wall hanging with it. When I finished it I machine washed it and it came out great.
    Old 05-19-2023, 06:11 AM

I think that Spoonflower is awesome! It allows individual, surface artists a platform and outlet for their works. I've bought a few things from their store.
    Old 05-19-2023, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

I dislike digital fabric, for these reasons. It's too problematic.
    Old 06-07-2023, 10:43 PM

I don’t like the white streaks. It drives me nuts.