Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dilemma >
  • Dilemma

• Dilemma

Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Dilemma

My best friend got married back in December and her husband made this backdrop to go behind them when they said their vows:
    http://rarelypins.com/2013/02/diy-we...s/#rssowlmlink
    It is her second marriage and she has 3 kids, he has 2 and they have blended their family.

It has basically a love letter to her written on it. My problem is that she has asked me to make "something" out of it for her. I don't want to lose much of the writing. She wants a couple of pillows, and I thought I could make one with a pic of her and her husband and one with a pic of them and all the kids, and use the written part for the backing (her cousin was her photographer, so I have access to any of the pics I want). But that still leaves a LOT of this backdrop unused. I'm at a loss. I'd like to make a lap quilt of what's left, and she isn't as worried about losing words as I am, LOL, but still, it would be nice to have as much as I can visible in the quilt. Any ideas of patterns? Colors? The fabric was a good quality white muslin and black Sharpie permanent marker. All I come up with is snowball pattern, but that's not really getting me excited. :-/ Suggestions gladly accepted. TIA
    Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM

The first pattern that comes to mind ~ Warm Wishes ~ http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d...html?idx=5185_
    Another one that comes to mind ~ Just Can't Cut It ~ http://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/6432
    Old 03-14-2013, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't want to cut it up too much either...I think I'd use a big portion as a center panel and maybe do blocks around it fo front and back, this will be an interesting project...keep us up dated, I for one would love to see the results!!!!
    Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

How about using the what is left over from the backing, to cut out specific words and piece them into pillow or throw in a more modern or freeform pattern with/without some pictures. Maybe choose the colors they used in their wedding as a starting point.
    Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM

Attic window
    Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Is there enough to make a bedrunner and some small accent pillows? Maybe use the fabric in one piece and applique on it.
    Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM

I'd make it a whole cloth! What a beautiful momento. Please show us what you end up doing!
    Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 AM

1. A set of pretty bed pillows out of the original, and
    2. Is there some way that the writing can be computerized and reduced to embroider it onto a regular size quilt?

I may be way off base...I just figure with all the technology...they can put photographs on cakes...they must be able to digitize something like this so it can be replicated in embroidery...???
    Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM

I think I would sew the two "pages" together left side, right side like a book, and make it the back of a large quilt, with additional fabric if needed to fill it to the right size. make your pics on the front with lovely colors and any pattern your heart desires. Oh, an I like the idea of photo copying, or having him re write the whole thing on paper (bet he has the original text somewhere) and doing machine embroidery (or even hand tracing embroidery if you have the patients).
    Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by WTxRed
    I'd make it a whole cloth! What a beautiful momento. Please show us what you end up doing!
    Definitely a whole cloth using half of it as the front and the other the backing. What a beautiful keepsake!
    There is no way that I could cut that up.