Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch >
  • Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

• Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

Old 03-09-2014, 03:06 AM
    Power Poster

if you have a Viking dealer in your area maybe you should take your machine with you and drop in for an 'owners class' or call them & set up a time- you can tell them what problems you are having and they will help you find the reason and make it much better. these type 'classes' are generally free- they want you to be happy with your machine. I have had my Viking for 10 years now, and over the years I have 'stopped in' and learned what i'm doing wrong- or how to do something I had forgotten since the initial owners class. they are always very friendly, helpful and seem to know how to make anything work/better.
    Old 03-09-2014, 03:34 AM

I second the idea of using a stabilizer behind the background. It improved my satin stitch a lot.
    Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM

I have a DII, which probably isn't much like the Sapphire, but my satin stitch is very smooth and velvety-looking. I use 60wt cotton thread, top and bottom, or else the Aurifil 50 on top, and have a bobbin case with the tension set for it. I use a 70/10 needle, so it doesn't make enormous holes. Once you get past the uneven length thing, which seems like a repair issue, maybe going fine for the thread and needle will be helpful.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    are you using a stabilizer?
    if not, try that before spending $$$ on a new machine.
    Always! I've tried both stitch n' tear and sulky with similar results.
    Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if you have a Viking dealer in your area maybe you should take your machine with you and drop in for an 'owners class' or call them & set up a time- you can tell them what problems you are having and they will help you find the reason and make it much better. these type 'classes' are generally free- they want you to be happy with your machine. I have had my Viking for 10 years now, and over the years I have 'stopped in' and learned what i'm doing wrong- or how to do something I had forgotten since the initial owners class. they are always very friendly, helpful and seem to know how to make anything work/better.
    Good idea. My dealer does have free classes as long as you own the machine you buy from them, but the times don't always work with my schedule. I'll try set up an appointment with her.
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 AM

If all else fails, a vintage Singer 237 portable from the early 70's makes a fabulous satin stitch. They can be found - usually in pretty good shape - for around 35.00 to 50.00.
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Viking, but a different model. I would definitely make time in your schedule to take a class. You can also just call the dealer and ask about the setting.
    You might also want to look at this youtube video "Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 960 14 Satin Stitches for Applique":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDtS6eLBG6Q
    Old 03-09-2014, 05:53 AM

A couple of things really improved my satin stitch. Stabilizer ( I use stitch and tear) and use the applique foot. The applique foot had a wider clear opening in the toe of the foot and a wide groove on the bottom so the foot will ride over the stitches smoothly without piling up and causing an inconsistent stitch. One other thing that can cause n inconsistent stitch is too much or too little pressure on the foot.
    Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

for some reason once in awhile my zig zag stitch skips. I hate that. I don't satin stitch if possible. I hate having to adjust my machine too. I have a Janome MC4800.
    Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    If all else fails, a vintage Singer 237 portable from the early 70's makes a fabulous satin stitch. They can be found - usually in pretty good shape - for around 35.00 to 50.00.
    Tthe only down side to these machines - they are heavy!

They are easy to operate - have three needle positions, zigzzg, and reverse. Will sew through six layers of denim - if using the proper needle. It is a Plain Jane machine, but comparatively goof- resistant.