Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch >
  • Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

• Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Default Disappointed in my Zigzag and Satin Stitch

Does your machine do a nice zigzag and satin stitch? I always end up resorting to a blanket stitch when I applique because I hate the way those stitches on my machine look - I have a Viking Sapphire. I don't use decorative stitches that often, so I just lived with it. The tension seems ok, but it's mostly that the outer edges are so uneven. I'm so jealous when I see such pretty satin stitches in people's pics. I want them too! Now I think I will start researching other machines and see which ones have nicer looking stitches than what I am getting now.

I don't have much for dealers in a close proximity other than Viking to try them out. I don't have a problem purchasing online if I found something with lots of great reviews (I bought my Juki sight unseen that way). I don't have a price point in mind, but it would probably be a max of about $500 because I would only use it when I need other than straight stitch (LOVE my Juki TL2010 and also have a Featherweight, but that needs a new motor). I would even consider the Juki multi-stitch machine if I'm happy with the reviews.

I am just curious, - if you are happy with your zigzag and satin stitches, please share what kind of machine you have. Thanks
    Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM

I have a Bernina 1230 and also a 180. I would have to see pictures of your applique to see what the problems you mention may look like. It may not be your machine that is the problem. It could be your foot, your needle, your thread, your tension, a combination of some of those. Before you buy a new machine, try different threads, tensions and needles. Also, do you have a stabilizer behind your background fabric?
    Old 03-08-2014, 08:02 PM

A 1973 Elna 62C is my satin stitch go to machine. I can't speak for the newer machines. All my old metal machines that zigzag do a nice job but the Elna does a great job.
    Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    I have a Bernina 1230 and also a 180. I would have to see pictures of your applique to see what the problems you mention may look like. It may not be your machine that is the problem. It could be your foot, your needle, your thread, your tension, a combination of some of those. Before you buy a new machine, try different threads, tensions and needles. Also, do you have a stabilizer behind your background fabric?
    I've had the machine for about 5 years. Over that time I have tried many different threads, usually end up using a topstitch needle when I applique (new one with each project), mess with the tension alot and always us a stabilizer. The stitches themselves seem to be ok with the tension, but the they are not all the same width - so not a nice straight edge - more like a wider stitch, few narrower ones, wider again, etc. I have packed it away for now. Next time I have it out, I will try and remember to get some pics. My friend has the same machine and has the same complaint.
    Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Hmmm. Those I know who have a Sapphire haven't reported any problems like this. I'll ask them this week.
    Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 AM

I have the viking HJCLASS and feel the same. If I use one never sure which one and it takes ages to set. My bernina and janome and brother take seconds. If i do use viking the stitches are never evenly spaced.
    Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 AM

Both my Janome and Pfaff do these 'perfectly' (allowing for operator error, lol), but I actually prefer buttonhole to zig-zag. I changed to buttonhole after I completed my avatar quilt - I feel it's neater.

The Pfaff has the advantage of the built-in IDT walking foot. (I am now so used to the IDT I bought the Passport to take to class, having had a really sticky start with the QE4).
    Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 AM
    Administrator

are you using a stabilizer?
    if not, try that before spending $$$ on a new machine.
    Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    Both my Janome and Pfaff do these 'perfectly' (allowing for operator error, lol), but I actually prefer buttonhole to zig-zag. I changed to buttonhole after I completed my avatar quilt - I feel it's neater.

The Pfaff has the advantage of the built-in IDT walking foot. (I am now so used to the IDT I bought the Passport to take to class, having had a really sticky start with the QE4).

Buttonhole? I will try that!
    Sandy
    Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
    Buttonhole? I will try that!
    Sandy
    Don't! I am a twit............................ I meant 'blanket'