Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • disappointed in quilting >
  • disappointed in quilting

• disappointed in quilting

Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM

I am not at all complaining about the quilters work, she did just what I asked for. I should have asked to look at more of her work on quilts, that may have given me a better idea of what it would look like. It is hard to look at a pattern on paper and know what it will look like on the finished quilt. One thing I didn't expect was , there are places with 3 lines of stitching in the same place. It doesn't look to bad on most of the quilt, but there are some areas that are plain that the quilting really shows and the pattern just doesn't look good. This quilt was one of the most difficult one I've ever done, my own design, and I should have spent the money on custom quilting, but unfortunately I do not have the money to spend. My husband and I have been unemployed for awhile, though I just got a job. I thought I was ok with having it quilted this way.
    Old 12-14-2009, 02:55 PM

I would like to see a picture as well.
    I am a hand quilter, and most LAQ are quite heavy with stitching compared to hand quilting.
    Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

I have never posted a picture before, but I will see if my DH can help me do it. I am used to handquilting, so I am sure that is part of the problem. It is a gift for my son and his new wife, and I didn't want them to have to wait for it to be hand quilted. I love hand quilting but I am soooo slow at it, I am amazed at how quickly some of you can get your quilts done.
    Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM

I think you should try to give us a picture. it will help us with suggestions. there are some very good points made in the message board about using LAQ's and making sure your expectations and the vision of the quilter match before you leave your quilt with the quilter. Sometimes it is the thread used rather than the allover design.
    I do think talking to the machine quilter is a good idea too. maybe there is something that can be done to make you happier with the work.
    One thing i can say with fair certainty...your son and his wife will appreciate the quilt and will not look at it with the same critical eye that you have. They will want to use it and wash it and those stitches will not be as evident to them as they are to you.
    Lisa
    Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
    Power Poster

I have only sent one quilt out to be done and I was very happy with it. Apparently, I was channeling my inner Patrice coz I remember going over all those quilting componentst with her. By the time I left her place, I knew exactly what I was going to get back.
    Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Here are my pictures, if this works. I had her leave the center applique part unquilted, I am handquilting that, you can see the basting threads.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-59399.jpe   attachment-59400.jpe   attachment-59401.jpe  
    Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

WHy don't you like it? I think it's very pretty.

Could it be that your critical hand-quilter's eye is looking at it with the "I would have done it differently" attitude?

Do you think the recipients would like it, coz that is the only thing that matters in the end.
    Old 12-14-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm still in the learning stage, but I do understand the feeling you have when it's not exactly what you were expecting. I do think it looks very nice though!
    Old 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
    Power Poster

I'm with MadQuilter on this one...and I like it very much.

There is a certain attachment you get with artwork, and quilts are no exeption. Maybe you feel that it isn't entirely "yours" anymore? Perhaps, when you have handquilted the centre you will regain "ownership".
    Old 12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
    Power Poster

I too only hand quilt, but have seen some awesome work done by longarms. And have wondered how to go about asking for just what you want. If you aren't happy with it, you should go back and talk to her . She might understand and have some suggestions about what to do. Maybe only parts of it need to be redone.