Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Disposing old quilting magazines >
  • Disposing old quilting magazines

• Disposing old quilting magazines

Old 09-04-2014, 01:31 PM

I would donate them to salvation army, goodwill, etc. Someone can buy them there for a few coins and be thrilled with them. The patterns left in them may just be what someone else is looking for. If the magazines are fully intact, I list them for sale on ebay and have gotten rid of many of mine that way.
    Old 09-04-2014, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

I donate only magazines that have all the pages intact. If I have removed one or more pages for patterns, I recycle those. Most people who buy an old magazine, even at a garage sale, assume it is the whole magazine. It is very disappointing to find that the recipe or pattern that interested you most is missing.

If you're placing magazines for free in a senior center of doctor's office, then it's not a problem if a page or two is missing. I would just encourage people NOT to donate these to resale organizations such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Friends of the Library unless you want to clearly mark on the front cover that one or more pages are missing. And, if you do that, most people will not want to buy the magazine in that condition.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-04-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
    Power Poster

If I know pages are missing - I may or may not buy the magazine. I can look through it and see if there is enough left for me to want to take it home.

However, if I find that a magazine or book that I expected to have ALL the pages in has missing pages - I am disappointed (I don't think QB will let me say what I am really feeling!)

I think if you donate with a sticker on the cover saying "some pages missing" - then the buyer or taker will be aware.
    Old 09-04-2014, 03:24 PM

There is a free table at my guild meeting and magazines are always scooped up quickly. I sometimes have torn patterns out. If it is only 1 or 2 pages missing then I think it is okay to donate them. After all they are FREE! Today I taught a beginning quilt class and brought about 25 old magazines and they were all taken. I was glad to not have to carry them back home!
    Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Our Guild has a free table also. Often pages are torn out it's sort of a guarantee, that the original owner took out the pattern(s) that they liked best. There is all sorts of knowledge left in those magazines, pass it on to fellow quilters, tastes are different.
    Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher
    I have piles of quilting magazines from years of subscribing to them. My question is....is it okay to donate the magazines if I have taken pages out of them for quilts I want to make someday? Only one or two from each magazine. It seems criminal to me to just throw them away even though I don't know who would want them. Before moving to our new house I had them all in cabinets in the sewing/laundry room but in my new sewing room there is no space for them.

please do donate your "used" magazines. I think there's a commandment against just getting rid of them.
    Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    If I know pages are missing - I may or may not buy the magazine. I can look through it and see if there is enough left for me to want to take it home.

However, if I find that a magazine or book that I expected to have ALL the pages in has missing pages - I am disappointed (I don't think QB will let me say what I am really feeling!)

I think if you donate with a sticker on the cover saying "some pages missing" - then the buyer or taker will be aware.
    I like your idea of adding a note to the front. Certainly good info left inside even with some pages missing.
    Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 AM

Nothing is more aggravating than purchasing a used magazine and finding that a pattern you would like to make has a page of instructions missing because they were on the back of a page someone else removed. I hate buying books and/or magazines that have been defaced by others -- this includes highlighted passages, hand written notes, and pages missing or with cutouts.

When I find a pattern I want to make in a magazine, I copy it and put it in page protectors so I can keep it with the project until completion. But then I frequently get a stack of quilt magazines out to look at again and again -- I frequently find patterns I never noticed before or my tastes have changed and now the pattern appeals to me. Books and magazines are like old friends I can visit from time to time.

Last edited by Aurora; 09-05-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    Old 09-05-2014, 02:23 AM
    Suz

I have given some of mine to the local public library and they sell them for $.25. Funding for the library has been drastically reduced so this little bit helps.
    Old 09-05-2014, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by jeanne49
    I remove the pages I want, then put them in recycle. I purchased several quilt magazines at a guilds recycle room that they run during their quilt show and was extremely disappointed to find that patterns I liked were no longer there. Granted I only paid 25 cents but I think it is something they should have just given away.
    The same thing happened to me this year when I bought magazines at a quilt show. Several of the magazines had half the pages missing. Grrr! I've been going to that quilt show and buying used magazines there for years and this is the first time that has happened. I need to say something to a member, before the next show.