Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting? >
  • Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

• Do all quilters consider machine embroidery to be quilting?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    I was very upset when told by the mythical person. " they didn't like all the machine embroidery" MACHINE EMBROIDERY. I can promise you every stitch is hand done . This is a corner block, 4 long borders and 25 centre blocks . And 15 months in time.
    I don't use the fancy stitches on the machine just my own time.
    Too funny!

Beautiful work! I'd personally take it as a compliment that someone thought I did it by machine!
    Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto
    I personally do. While you did an excellent job, the quilts look like they were generated by machine and lack the human element.
    I take it you prefer hand quilting over machine quilting as well.
    Old 11-24-2015, 06:22 AM

Embroidery not creative? What do you say to a person who can draw their own designs and digitize them? The same for a longarmer who can create and digitize her/his own patterns?

If you are using a quilting pattern available to all, that's the same as someone using an embroidery design that's available to all.

There's quite a few of us who don't care what colors the designer used or what quilting pattern - we do it our way.
    There are also some in each field who think their work "needs" to look like the picture of the object.

We like quilting since we can do things our way and most do.
    Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 AM

I personally do. While you did an excellent job, the quilts look like they were generated by machine and lack the human element.
    So do you hand piece and hand quilt all of your quilts from start to end. I would expect this reponse from my 5yr old grandson the first time he saw my embroidery machine going, he said, GiGi you don't have to do a thing, it does it all. I just laughed and agreed with him. He's now 9 and has seen where I go into even premade designs and alter them to get what I want, then I have to do the testing to make sure its accurate plus so much more. I put alot of me into everything that I make rather its from machine or by hand so there is a human element there. These are not k-mart quilts that you buy for $30. I think we can all agree that no matter how you are making something, by hand or by machine, if you don't do it right, it will show. I also think there is a difference in quilting and piecing so when I first saw this post, I was thinking quilting, like all 3 layers together but it turned out to mean different things to others. I can do stippling, etc on my embroidery machine as well. I have seen some of the prettiest quilts here on this board, and all made differently but still all beautiful. Just like the quilt show coming in Feb, I spend a lot of time enjoying all of the quilts and see the creativity in them all. It amazes me how talented some people are. Some can create different blocks all on there own while others need ideas to get them going. No matter what prompts you, do what you like and let others do like they want. The more quilt shows let different medias entered into quilt shows I think they need to make more categories so that you aren't comparing apples to oranges so to speak. I hope I didn't affend anyone, my only intentions is to say, rather you love it or don't let others do what they like. I think if I did a block sway I'd want to make sure of the rules and see what is allowed and if its something I'd want. Its just like doing a block swap for 10 in blocks and the ones you get the person did 91/2 by the time they were pieced, it throws it all off.
    Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 AM

I purchased my Elna machine at The Creative Needle in Littleton,CO. Marge, the owner, gives/teaches classes as part of the purchase. In one of the classes she taught us how to freehand the "straight stitch" using free hand methods. She took about 4 stitches forward, back stitched, and went forward about 8 stitches and repeated th process. If you did not know it was done that way, you couldn't tell.
    Other wise, I agree this is personal preference. One of the prettiest quilts I have seen was a ribbon winner at the CO state fair several years ago, an the squares were all embroidered.

Blessed Thanksgiving,
    Susan
    Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
    Power Poster

Somebody's term, "devoid of soul", in this thread really captures the way I feel about it. I guess that's why I can't warm to machine embroidery. Yes it's pretty and done well and a lot of work, but to me its machiney and "devoid of soul".

That doesn't mean anyone else can't love it... I just don't!
    Old 11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
    Banned

While the actual stitching was done by a machine, there is still so much human work involved to get to that point. I love both of those quilts, they are marvelous. There is every bit of human element in these as there is anything sewn by a machine. Any machine is only as good as the person operating it, whether it's a simple straight stitch sewing machine all the way to the computerized machines of all kinds. These quilts took talent.

Cari
    Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 AM

I love my embroidery machine! But then I love the looks of hand quilting, free motion quilting, appliqué, ect. I think it can all be a part of the quilting process. I am one of the guilty ones that has sent embroidery machine items as part of a swap...sure hope no one was offended! I still considered it quilting since the block was pieced around the embroidery....I am glad everyone here has been able to have their own opinion, it has all been very interesting!
    Old 11-25-2015, 08:54 AM
    Power Poster

The free motion embroidery done on a regular machine wins in the skill department.
    http://www.atelierlinarte.pt/en/portofolio
    Old 11-25-2015, 11:27 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    The free motion embroidery done on a regular machine wins in the skill department.
    http://www.atelierlinarte.pt/en/portofolio
    Oh absolutely, I love that kind of stuff and wish I had the patience (and time)to learn it. I can't find my bookmarked videos, but have you seen the one on Utube of women in Turkey creating lace on an old Singer treadle? Their work is breathtaking.

Cari