Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do any of you ship quilts oversea >
  • Do any of you ship quilts oversea

• Do any of you ship quilts oversea

Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM

I was curious if any shipped a quilt oversea. I am planning to make one for my sister and bro-in-law. I wonder how to send one? It will be queen sized. They will be heading to Scotland and I rather send it there, then them having to take it on the plane
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM
    Banned

Once you check shipping price you may want them to take it. A friend sends my daughter a box of Japnese gum and the shipping on 10-15 packs of gum is $98.
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Check with USPS, UPS & FedEx to compare shipping prices? It may be cheaper for them to carry on the plane.
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
    QKO

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I was curious if any shipped a quilt oversea. I am planning to make one for my sister and bro-in-law. I wonder how to send one? It will be queen sized. They will be heading to Scotland and I rather send it there, then them having to take it on the plane
    We ship daily to Europe so have some experience with this.

Probably the cheapest, fastest and also the most secure way to send it is via USPS Priority mail. A queen size should easily fit into a large flat-rate priority mail box when carefully folded. Make sure you put it in a sealed plastic bag inside the box. Postage will be about $57. Depending on how much it weighs, regular (not flat rate) priority mail might be cheaper. Either way the USPS will have boxes for you.
    Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

USPS is definitely the cheapest going overseas. I mailed a crib quilt for my first GS to England.
    Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM

I ship overseas often, but haven't shipped anything that large. Just be sure to specify air mail. I shipped something to South Africe (small parcel) and it took 2-1/2months to arrive by a vety slow boat!
    Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM

If you can get it in those vacuum seal storage bags , so you can use a smaller box; that would help out on the cost too. I sent a few quilts to Aust. it cost about $60. each.
    Old 09-26-2011, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

i participate in an international round robin every year- we ship through the post office- with insurance- i've never had one cost $98!
    the most (and it was in a large- flat rate box- with insurance added was $23
    you can access the USPS on line - enter the destination- size and weight of the box - the amount of insurance- anything else you want to add- and see exactly what it will cost. i've sent to the UK and to Austrailia- neither was too much more than shipping right here- the only issue i've had is it seems to take a lot longer for one to come to the U.S.---going out does not seem to be a problem- coming back takes months sometimes- you have to fill out a custom slip - be specific- yuoi can put it as a gift- but it has to have a value entered.