Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do I buy a new machine? Help please >
  • Do I buy a new machine? Help please

• Do I buy a new machine? Help please

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

I agree with most others who have posted...you need a new DEALER and MAYBE a new machine. I'd start with the dealer! I'm not trying to be ugly, but I have more sewing machine experience than most dealers do...and if I tell one of them that it IS the machine, I expect them to take it from there. There are too many other good brands out there to be so frustrated with the one you have. And by the way, try looking at some "gently used" machines...I've a Viking-Husqvarna I bought used and it's not given me a minute's trouble. There are good ones out there...you just have to look. Good luck!
    Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 PM

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with your Janome dealer, and your Janome. I love my 10 year 10000, it has never been serviced (cringe cringe), dh vacuums it out and it runs like a charm. bought a husky 875Q and it is in being serviced already, somethings is wrong with it, oh well. I don't know much about fmq, so I can't give you guidance. do you have a quilting guild where you can maybe test drive (fmq) a machine that a member wants to sell? Or try the classifieds for a good used machine. Or post a Wanted classified in your local paper, and see what turns up. I believe in recycle, reuse, repurpose, regift, being frugal comes with my age.
    Old 01-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Before you do anything borrow someone else's machine and see if it's you or the machine. (or maybe this machine is just not the one for you) Then have someone you know familar with sewing machines use yours. Now you'll know where your money should go machine or lessons. lol
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    I have a Janome 4800, about 7 or 8 years old, which has always been problematic. Some of you may have seen my earlier posts re thread jamming in the tension discs and the dealer saying I shouldn't use quilting threads. I haven't been able to resolve the latest jamming problem, so it needs yet another trip to the shop. At this point I have to stop and ask whether I should cut my losses and buy a new machine, as I keep handing over 50 or 60 pounds for servicing and repairs only to have it go wrong again. The main issues have been the current one of thread easily jamming in the tension discs (and finer ones, not just quilting threads) and the near-impossibility of finding a combination of tension, thread, needle etc etc that will produce FMQ with correct tension. For piecing it's wonderful - a great stitch, sews smoothly and quietly.

This machine has done so much to undermine my never strong confidence. As I've struggled with FMQ, the dealer and others have suggested that the problems are my incompetence, not the machine. Yet a friend who is an experienced quilter and the teacher in a class I went to also found it difficult. I feel that my development as a quilter has been really held back by all the issues I've had with it, all the times it's been in for repair, all the times I've just stopped sewing for ages because I was so sick of the battles with it. It's the reason that I have lots of UFOs, because the quilting was so difficult to do.

I'm retired, and the outlay on a new machine would be very significant for me - definitely a once-only purchase. I would have to be certain that I needed it and that it would be a successful purchase - ie a machine that would be reliable for both piecing and quilting and would last me a long time. My experiences with my current machine have left me quite frightened of making the decision - when I bought this one, it looked like a good buy. And I guess that at the back of my mind is the question as to whether the people who've said it's me not the machine that has the problem may be right and I'll just continue to have these struggles.

Finding a dealer is another issue. The local Janome dealer is the one who just insists that the machines can't be at fault. And when I asked him today about coming in to try a 6600, he said I wouldn't be able to spend a long time on it! This is a 1000 pound machine, so I'm hardly likely to buy it without putting it to the test! The next nearest dealer hasn't got the 6600 in stock.

I feel rather depressed and overwhelmed this evening, that I'm back to the usual problems, and not knowing what to do next.

I should say that I've also tried vintage machines. I have a Featherweight that I love dearly for piecing, and recently bought a 201 that I was hoping might do FMQ, but I'm not having a lot of joy with that so far. I believe the 301 is the best, but it wasn't sold in Europe.

Sorry, this has become a long post - I just needed to set out where I am with all this, as I feel so discouraged and confused.

Well, Maybe it is time for a new machine! Sell yours on ebay and put any money you make towards a new one!

I bought my Bernina from Frank Nutt Sewing Machine. They are fantastic. I live in Suffolk and I think they are in the midlands somewhere.... but they spoke to me on numerous occasiona and gave me loads of time to play when I visited their stand at the NEC.

Give them a call... they may be able to help with your Janome... or they may do a trade in. They will also probably be able to recommend a good dealer near you that would give you time on some machines to see which you like.

If you were nearer to me we could have got together and you could have tried my 4900QC or Horizon... both which I love and find really easy to use.... but I think I love my Bernina more.... oh.. I love my brother 4000D too... but I only use that as an embroidery machine.

Good Luck!

Hugs

Caroline
    Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM

I bought a Husqvarna Rose in 1999 and I love it. They're all metal and heavy so they hold up. Sounds like you take it to be cleaned on a regular basis so you won't have any problems with one of these. My sister swears by her Berninas; she had two. You won't be sorry with either one of these brands.
    Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 PM

I have a Janome 6500 and have never had a problem with it. But that's not to say that someone else hasn't. I also have a Gammill and I never have tension problems, but my friend has a more expensive Gammill and constantly has problems. She is a very good longarmer, so I don't think it's her. I think it's the machine. I have another friend that has a Janome 6500 and she prefers her Baby Lock. Another friend has a Janome 6500 and bought a new Husqvana/Viking about a year ago. She prefers the 6500. So as you can see, it's all across the board. I definitely do not think it's you. It's like cars, I think. Sometimes you just get a lemon. If you're really unhappy, I would first try to find a new Janome dealer. If that doesn't solve your problems, then I think you should start researching other machines. Life is too short to be frustrated with your hobby.
    Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM

Obviously, I can't help you because of location, but am wondering if there are any other board members who might live close and be willing to help? Maybe get together and see if they can figure out a solution?
    Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Well I would for the mere fact that you are not happy with the machine, and i would test drive several before settling on a machine, but if you don't want tension issues too much I will tell you that you are probably looking at a high end machine, My babylock espire cost me 1800, but does not give me tension issues, however don't expect perfection right off the bat because it does take practice no matter what machine you have, but if you are looking for more consistent stitches and you are not getting them even with dealer and expert help than i would get the best machine you can afford. i think you can even find the janome 6600 for 1200 I know people love those even though since the one you have is giving you problems you might be thinking of switching brands.
    Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

I purchased my Janome at the only Janome dealer in my town. I took my 5 yo Singer in and they wouldn't take it as a trade. Ok, not a big deal. I wasn't buying a high dollar Janome anyway. All they wanted was to make a sale. I got NO lessons, unless you count the 15 minutes the sales person spent with me comparing the machine I was going to purchase and the other machine that cost $1000 more. They have no customer service skills to speak of. They are usually standing around gabbing with each other and you have to interrupt them to get fabric cut. I have only been back into that shop once since I took 1/2 of a free class they were offering. I am bad, my machine has never been serviced and I have had it for 5 years. I travel frequently and anything dealer within 2 hours from me gets a look see. I would be willing to travel the 2 hours both ways than give the local dealer another penny! When I am ready for an upgrade, I will purchase from an out of town dealer.

If I were you, I would be willing to travel a bit to get a better, more personable dealer and give them your business. I wouldn't give your current dealer anymore of your time or money.
    Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Thankyou so much for all the responses. Much appreciated - I reached a real low last night. I've not had time today to spend time considering all that's been said, but will get back with some comments tomorrow. Again - thankyou. I really needed the encouagement and affirmation.