Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do I need an expensive machine? >
  • Do I need an expensive machine?

• Do I need an expensive machine?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 AM
    Power Poster

If your machine sews without any problems or frustration to you then it's all you need. My quilt friends keep urging me to buy an embroidery machine. I learned to do machine embroidery on my grandmother's old straight stitch Singer. No expensive embroidery machine needed, just skill learned. There is a group of classic machine embroiders . Look at the pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421958014741838/ Drool!!!!!
    Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

There are some current well-known quilters (Jinny Beyer, for one) that hand stitch some of their quilt tops.

So - if you WANT a new machine - for whatever reason - and can afford it - go for it.

If your current machine is sewing decently - then the "skill improvement" with piecing is with the user.

If it's embroidery that you are wanting - that's a whole different story.
    Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 AM

I have several machines. .... from $5 vintage that works great to a $$$$ Viking with embroidery. What do I use for my quilting???? mostly the vintage machines. I used the Viking for everything before I started finding vintage but the stitching on the vintage machines is superb. FMQ on the Viking leaves tucks on both the front and back no matter what I do to keep the layers smooth. FMQ on my 1952 Singer 15-91 is a breeze.... no tucks.... smooth as a mirror.

I believe that the quality of your work depends more on your skills than the machine you use (with a few exceptions like the tucks with the Viking). But, I totally understand the desire for another machine.
    Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 AM

While the machine MAY have something to do with the quality of your quilts, I believe that it's the QUILTER'S ability which makes all the difference.
    Old 08-26-2014, 06:00 AM

I just listened to a podcast from someone who's judged quilts at shows. She said the judges are looking for perfection in workmanship of the piecing and that the quilt is evenly quilted. One of the things she mentioned is that the tension is even and not pulling the thread too tight on the back of the quilt. This info made me feel I'd have a chance at an award because I assumed the beautifully quilted longarmed quilts got more points! If your machine has a good consistent tension, any machine could achieve award winning quilts (in my opinion).
    Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

The skill is in you the machine is the tool. If you can't or the machine is not mechanically capable because of incorporating certain stitching or size, then you may want to consider a newer machine. See how far you can go with your current machine. But is it actually the fact you really want a "newer with more bells and whistles"? I've seen quilts come off really pricey modern machines that I wouldn't give you the money of the fabric for because of the sewer's skills which were low leve/beginner/inexperienced. It's all in your hands!!
    Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 AM

No, I don't think so. Skill is a matter of practice, not a matter of machine. You can do lots of great stuff on vintage machines that have solid stitches. If you are thinking about expanding techniques or frustrated shoving large quilts through a small harp, then you might consider upgrading. But I don't think the latest and greatest machine leads to better quilts. I do all my piecing on mechanical Berninas. I do quilt on a Sweet Sixteen now, but that is because of the harp space it allows. I did not invest in the stitch regulator.

Cheers, K
    Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 AM

I agree with all of the above. I have an expensive machine and my skills are just as bad as they ever were.
    A nice stitch on a machine you are comfortable with is most important.
    Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM

The machine doesn't make the quilt, the quilter makes the quilt. If you are able to win on your's I'd say it's perfect.
    Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 AM

You can make wonderful quilts on any machine, but I say have the best machine that you like and can afford. I'm bad about always wanting the latest and greatest machine, but I still use my cheapest machine the most, my Brother PQ1500.