Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding >
  • Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

• Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    I like the way Alienquilter miters her corners (Post No. 32.) I've done that, and it makes perfect corners.
    But I haven't seen a reference to sewing on the front, turning to the back and then stitching in the ditch from the front. I used to do that with pins, but since I found School Glue, that works so much faster, easier and better. The important thing is to press the seam open very well after the binding is sewn onto the front. You want to see very well into the "ditch" into which you will be stitching. Then I glue the binding onto the back, making sure the edge is covering the stitching. Corners get glued, too, just use a little more glue. When the glue has been ironed dry, turn it over and stitch away. I can have a binding finished in a few hours.
    I find the glue is easier to apply if it is diluted. About half and half with water will do it. That makes it easier on the hands to squeeze it out.
    I also feel like I'm giving away my children when I give away quilts, but it's not so bad when I give them to my children and grandchildren, now numbering 43 with spouses.
    I think I am going to try the glue method, I like the ida of sewing it on with my machine. I have so much pain in my hands that it makes it hard to do hand sewing. I will try this on my Christmas Quilt I am doing. Thanks
    Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

for many quilts, I do 'birthing' or envelope style and avoid the question. Once in a while I do totally machine bound, but mainly, I attach the binding by machine then sew it down by hand.
    Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 AM

I only have one machine with decorative stitches and it doesn't have enough to really make it look pretty. I tried a zig zag once and I broke 4 needles before I realized the slot the needle goes in in the walking foot won't accommodate a large zig zag...or even a medium size one for that matter. I apply binding on one side using a straight stitch with my walking foot on my big vintage singer, then hand stitch it on the other side using what looks like a ladder stitch, but I've had people tell me it's a "blind" stitch. I have no idea what it's called I just hide the stitching.
    Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 AM

mom-6----- I do this, too. I find that the quilts I make for charity need the strength of double sewing the binding. I stitch the binding to the back, bring it to the front and ususally do a wavy stitch first to secure it. Then I go back and add a line of straight stitching to the middle of the binding to secure it firmly. I understand the quilts given to hospitals an such get a huge amount of industrial washing so I want them to stay stitched..... Sometimes, I do the hand stitching, particularly on the old style traditional style quilts.....Mostly the ones for me.
    Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 AM

I do both, depending on the quilt and the occasion if it is a gift. I machine bind all quilts for kids
    Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 AM

I always sew my binding by machine on the back of the quilt and bring it to the front and hand stitch it down. Just the way I've always done it.
    Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM

I'm strictly a machine binder......
    Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 AM

I had hand surgery over 10 years ago...hand work is hard for me, so I do bindings by machine. Love using the feather stitch, or blanket stitch to secure them.
    Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Your family is bigger than mines. I dont have any children but I do have 2 sisters and 2 brothers, 21 nieces and nephews, 7 grand nieces and nephews, and my better half has 2 sons and 2 grandsons, total 36. Thats alot of quilts I have to make, lol.
    Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM

I machine quilt the binding to the top and hand bind the back, I enjoy doing it and like someone else posted that
    means I will be done with the quilt and time to move on to another ONE.
    cassiemae