Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding >
  • Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

• Do most of you hand bind or machine bind your binding

Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    Machine binding is all I do. Hand binding makes my hands hurt like crazy, takes me months (because my hands hurt so much) and come out awful. I'm getting pretty good at machine binding and it goes so fast!
    This is exactly the reason I have to machine stitch. Also, I think machine stitched is sturdier for the kid's quilts.
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Machine stitch whenever possible.

My all time favorite is to use a thick backing fabric like minkee, fleece or heavy flannel. Square up the quilt backing to 2" from edge of top all the way around, then fold in an inch, then over quilt edge again to have a 1 inch hem. I also slice off the corners by lining up my 45 degree line on my ruler to the edge of the quilt top making sure the side of the ruler extends 1/4" past the corner of the pieced top. Then using my rotary cutter, slice off the corner. Then I fold the backing fabric back lining up the new cut edges, pin at the half way point and stitch a tight stitch from the corner to the pin. Then I trim off a little at the point/corner and "pop" the backing fabric. It makes a nice mitered corner with no bulk and sewing half-way makes it nice for turning under for hemming. Sounds strange but works great. Just completed a quilt today using this method with a minkee backing.
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM

I always machine sew my binding to the front and hand stitch the back.
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    I machine stitch the binding to the front and turn the binding to the back and hand stitch. Putting the binding on is one of my favorites because it means my quilt is finally done
    This is what I do as well. I'm not overly adept at using my deco stitches on my machine and feel I can 'fudge' a bit better if I need to with hand stitching the back.
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:32 PM

I machine stitch to the front and hand stitch to the back. I find it relaxing to watch TV and stitch the binding. The real reason: I spend so much time working with a quilt that is invariably going out the door as soon as it is finished, so it's our final session together. Kinda like a mother saying goodbye to the baby she is giving up for adoption. LOL
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Here's my 2 cents: I machine stitch the binding to the front of the quilt, then hand stitch it on the back. I find it relaxing...can't just sit in front of the TV and do nothing, right?
    Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
    Power Poster

Machine stitch to the front and hand-stitch to the back. I have done some children's quilts all by machine but I prefer my binding to be neat and the machine method has too much leeway for me.
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by quilts4charity
    Machine stitch all the way!!!!
    Same here. I'm a member of the Done Is Better Than Perfect group of quilters.
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM

WandaVA,
    I loved the way your phrased your response---"It's our final session together. Kinda like a mother saying goodbye."
    We do get attached to our works of art, don't we? I have only given 2 baby quilts away, and so have 4 more baby quilts to give away. My children (in their 20's) don't have children yet, but I hope some of the baby quilts that I am making that I am not giving away will be wrapped around my possible future precious grandchildren. Hope when they use it they will know how much their grandmother loves them.
    Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

I machine stitch it to the front and hand sew it on the back.