Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do quilters believe that imitation..... >
  • Do quilters believe that imitation.....

• Do quilters believe that imitation.....

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Do quilters believe that imitation.....

is the sincerest form of flattery? I sure hope so cause if not, I'm in a heap-lot o' trouble. One of our board members posted a picture of a quilt she made and I went right out and bought fabric to go with some in my stash and made it, almost the same....and I liked it so much, I'm gonna make another.
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 AM

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Did you get her permission? Anything posted online or anywhere is copyrighted.
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Annie68
    Did you get her permission? Anything posted online or anywhere is copyrighted.
    No, but it's for my personal use. I'm not selling it.
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I think so. It depends on whether it was an original design or not, and if you're going to sell it. I'd be a little upset if I was, say, at a craft show, and someone across the aisle liked once of my quilts that I'd designed, and was then selling it at the next show.

That said, most quilting patterns are public domain these days. And if you're using your own stash, is it really even the same quilt? I mean, blending and arrangement take work!

Glad you found a pattern you like so much!
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM

If you're sure it wasn't an original design, you're probably okay, but since you know it was made by a fellow member, why not ask next time just to make sure. A simple PM saying you loved her quilt and would like to make one yourself, would she mind if you used the same colors would probably make her day.

With original designs, copying without permission is not considered flattery at all...it's stealing. Selling or personal use has nothing to do with it.
    Old 09-10-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    If you're sure it wasn't an original design, you're probably okay, but since you know it was made by a fellow member, why not ask next time just to make sure. A simple PM saying you loved her quilt and would like to make one yourself, would she mind if you used the same colors would probably make her day.

With original designs, copying without permission is not considered flattery at all...it's stealing. Selling or personal use has nothing to do with it.
    Not legally, actually. It's only copyright infringement if you're passing if off as your own while selling it. You can make anything you want for your own personal use. I could put the Nike swoosh on a pillow cover as long as it was just for my house. But the minute I tried to sell it, I'd be in trouble.
    Old 09-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider

Stealing? Are you serious? That seems a bit extreme to me, but I should have sent a PM letting her know how much I liked it....I'll be sure to not post a pic so the QP won't come arrest me.
    Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

We don't know which quilt was used for the model - if it was a red, white, and blue something - there are many of them on QB - which one should get the credit?

If it was a disappearing 9-patch - who should get the credit? There are many of them on this board also.

When it comes to designs - let's take the 9-patch for example - how can that be copyrighted?

Or a rail fence?

There are some designs/patterns that do seem to be comparatively 'original' - and I don't mind conceding that they are copyrighted or copyrightable -

I just don't know where the line is - I made a version of blocks and stripes that I thought was 'original' - only to see it in some quilt book - and it strongly resembles 'warm wishes' - which I had never heard of until joining this board.
    Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM

I don't think its any different than any other time we see something we like and instead of buying it, we say "I can that myself!". If someone doesn't want their work imitated than they shouldn't post pictures online. Most people I know would be flattered and happy they inspired someone else. I do think it's different,both ethically and maybe even legally, to copy someone's work and post it for sale on etsy or state mass producing. But for yourself? Totally ok.