Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do we have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Glue to sandwich a quilt? >
  • Do we have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Glue to sandwich a quilt?

• Do we have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Glue to sandwich a quilt?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Default Do we have a tutorial here for using Elmer's Glue to sandwich a quilt?

Hint hint, I have two quilts ready to sandwich and am truly a visual learner. So was hoping something would be posted before I attempt this.

Thanks for thehelp.
    Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
    MTS
    Banned

It's a video by Sharon Schamber:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE
    Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Carslo, MTS gave you one for binding, but did you mean you're ready to baste it? Personally, I wouldn't use elmers for that.
    Here is Sharon's method for basting that I use and I love it! It's the best method I've found and have never had a quilt shift or pucker doing them this way, and it goes much faster than you would think. No more clamping or taping to the floor for this girl. lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
    Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by sewobsessed1
    Carslo, MTS gave you one for binding,
    Ha! So I did.
    I was started out looking for COYOTE's post, got distracted, and went for the binding link.

Here's COYOTEMAGIC's explanatin of her Elmer's glue BASTING process:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5022726

But you could use Sharon's method with the boards, and instead of thread basting or using 505 spray, use the Elmer's Glue instead.

As I have around 10 cans of 505 here, until those are used up, I won't need to try it out myself.

Last edited by MTS; 10-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM

I have basted my last 5 quilts with Elmers School glue and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I use my dinning room table to lay out my backing, batting and top. I pin down the center from left to right
    to give me a 'fold point'. I thin drizzle on my glue about 12-18" at a time, smooth down my top, and proceed on.
    Both my top and backing are as soon as glass when I am done. I do NOT get any puckers any where at all.
    I usually allow the glue to dry 24 hours as I don't want to be bothered with the iron, and then FMQ the top. I do not get any build up on my needle, I do not encounter any 'bumps' that are hard to stitch on.....and everything stays in perfect place during quilting NOTHING MOVES at all.....Glue is super cheap at like $1.25 for a good size bottle and you can do 1-3 quilts per bottle, pending quilt size. I do not have to worry about overspray or fumes in my house.
    I do have pictures taken to do a tute but have not taken the time to do so as everyone have been do critical of late here.
    Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM

I use Elmer's School Glue for my quilts the same way as Deborahlees. I hit it with iron when I am impatient, but that is just me. The last quilt I did I payed close attention to see if I got any puckers. There were none. My post is not a tutorial but if you would like to see the quilt, the post is called QB Scrap. Good luck!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/qb-scrap-t203563.html

Last edited by Tashana; 10-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Ha! So I did.
    I was started out looking for COYOTE's post, got distracted, and went for the binding link.

Here's COYOTEMAGIC's explanatin of her Elmer's glue BASTING process:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5022726

But you could use Sharon's method with the boards, and instead of thread basting or using 505 spray, use the Elmer's Glue instead.

As I have around 10 cans of 505 here, until those are used up, I won't need to try it out myself.
    I am down to 2 cans!
    Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    I have basted my last 5 quilts with Elmers School glue and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I use my dinning room table to lay out my backing, batting and top. I pin down the center from left to right
    to give me a 'fold point'. I thin drizzle on my glue about 12-18" at a time, smooth down my top, and proceed on.
    Both my top and backing are as soon as glass when I am done. I do NOT get any puckers any where at all.
    I usually allow the glue to dry 24 hours as I don't want to be bothered with the iron, and then FMQ the top. I do not get any build up on my needle, I do not encounter any 'bumps' that are hard to stitch on.....and everything stays in perfect place during quilting NOTHING MOVES at all.....Glue is super cheap at like $1.25 for a good size bottle and you can do 1-3 quilts per bottle, pending quilt size. I do not have to worry about overspray or fumes in my house.
    I do have pictures taken to do a tute but have not taken the time to do so as everyone have been do critical of late here.
    Oh, please do a tutorial. I have only hand quilted but am thinking of venturing to machine quilting. I have nasal allergies so no spraying in my house and here in Oklahoma the wind is always blowing or at least it seems like it....lol
    Old 10-23-2012, 05:41 AM

Yes pplease! Do a tutorial on this method. I am sure that many of us are interested and just need a bit of help visually to try it. I am sorry that some folks are being nay sayers but maybe of us want to say "yeah" it works

Old 10-23-2012, 05:59 AM

I would be most interested in seeing your tute. AND, I would NEVER be critical! After all, it is just another way of doing something. I've been quilting for over 50 years, and thought I knew it all, but find I can learn something new every day if I just keep my eyes and ears open. Please "show me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!