Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan? >
  • Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

• Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM

I do both but with today's prices I'm more restrained

I usually buy for a project. However, I love MICE so I was at a LQS near my sister and saw some adorable mouse fabric. I bought 3 yards on the spot with no plan, but it is there in my stash waiting for inspiration.

I sometimes collect for a special quilt that isn't fully designed yet. I am currently working on rocks and wood for a quilt that is still not clear on my design board (or my brain whichever) but I know I'll need these fabrics.

I find some of the other answers are interesting!!!
    Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 AM

I do both. Some I buy for a specific project, but most of it I buy because I love it or it's a super good price.

I am with you on this one for the most part... most of the time I don't have a plan... usually its just because I like it and know eventually I will find a home for it...Unless I do have a project started and have to find more to go with it ... then I usually find more for the stash at the same time...
    I have EQ7 and use scan material when working on a project but never thought of just putting my stash in so is always available... new on my to do list... I like this idea
    Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    Something I read in another post got me wondering. How many of you actually have a project in mind when you buy fabric? I have to admit that I NEVER have a plan for new fabric. I buy it if I love it or if I think it would be a good blender with what I already have, and if it is on sale of course. I scan all my fabrics (at least that's my goal -- not quite there yet) into EQ6 and use it to match up fabrics for a particular project.

Last edited by dahlshouse; 01-04-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: another thought

Just got my package of a 4 pack of Charms and Jelly roll of "Coming Home by Deb Strain for MODA, it was on sale from Today's Quilting in Plainsboro, NJ.... Great price and I loved the fabric as soon as I saw it... Haven't a Clue as to what pattern I will use but didn't want to miss out... this is the first time I have bought fabric on line...
    Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I buy what I like and what I think i may use in any one of my bucket list of quilt patterns.. So nope, I just buy, buy, buy..
    That just about says it for me too. :-) I am going to try and control myself for a while this year. I have a fairly large stash and really need to use up LOTS of it.
    Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 AM

I use to buy if I liked it usually about 3 yards as I figure I could always find a pattern to use it in. Now with over 20 totes full of material I decided I better start to use before I go to the great beyond. I have put some in the garage sale and people are happy to pay the price which is about 1/2 of what I paid for. I have 3 quilts in the works right now and have plans for 4 more that I have material that will work
    Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 AM

I am a scrappy quilter and I buy only quilt shop quality - that has cut down on lots of disappointments in the quality of my fabrics. I've found great deals online and some wonderful places to buy my fabrics, so it doesn't have to be so expensive. I buy notions at JoAnn's and I'm amazed at what their fabric is priced at. 40% off is still on just one piece of fabric. Two years ago one of my fav quilt shops started selling scraps - they have a HUGE online store, and these scraps are fabrics that were cut and not sold, end of bolts, etc. I bought over 30 yds three different times - gave my scrap containers a boost. I try and cut a 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" strips - these containers are bursting. I'm now putting them into lights & med darks containers. I'm also in a swap group and we swap 2 1/2" strips of certain colors. Jamuary is browns. I am doing purple string blocks and one of our swaps was purples and I hit it hard, but I had over 100 different purples. I also got into that million pillowcase challenge. My only problem is I love these darn things so much and I'm now machine embroidering the cuffs. Good Excuse for buying lots of 2 yd lengths.
    Judi
    Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM

I have a list of quilts for family members. There is not too many places where I live to get fabric. I either buy online or wait till my DH and I travel. I have some fabric for some I thought about. I have a general idea what I want to do, so make sure I have enough fabric should I change my mind. I also managed to get this fabric before the prices started getting too steep. So, I would have to say, some planned, some not
    Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by deemail
    my fabrics are part of the palette i use to create with...so i buy any color/texture/print that i like that is on sale. you never have to buy full price when you have a stash.. when i pull fabrics to work with for any project, it is because that's the mood i'm in... pet peeve? 'Lines' of fabric....i don't want people deciding for me what to put with what... FAbric stores: just put your fabrics in color order and let me choose what i like, i hate to have to go all over the store to see ALL the yellows... just put the yellows together...let me choose one or 10...
    I like having the fabric lines together because I am not very artistic. I don't have to like running around the store trying to figure out which yellow goes with the line I am purchasing. I like it is already picked out for me!
    Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM

How else would I have gotten this stash in my sewing room? I do both buy without ideas and when needed for a project. I always buy more than I need.....