Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >
  • Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

• Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-05-2011, 04:42 AM

I made one, a king size crazy quilt and no I don't. I will never make another QAYG.
    Mary in TX
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 AM

I'm going to try again. Made one many years ago. But I'm doing a variation on that theme. I am making D9P blocks, layering them with batting & batting. I'm going to machine each sandwiched square then attach them together as if they were QAYG, which in a way they were. This is how I did one many years ago. But now I will fine tune this process.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:11 AM

I have never made one before, but am making one right now - Ditter's string quilt.
    I am at the stage of joining the quilt together and have joined about 16 out of 60 blocks. The only thing I would say is that I believe both the front and back of the quilt will look better if I handstitch the top sashing down.
    I think this might be especially so because of the colours I have chosen: black/white/pink strings on the front, with black sashing; pink/white blocks on the back, with pink/white sashing.
    It will take a bit longer but I think it will be worth it in the end.
    All in all, it's great - really quick and a great look when complete.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Just getting ready to start my first one so a little nervous having never done one .
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

So far yes, I am enjoying QAYG. I am working on my first one - have 6 of the 18 blocks hand quilted and then will add the borders. Will post pictures when done. My husband laid out the rail blocks in a very interesting pattern. (Not what I had pictured in my head LOL - but works really well.
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"

Lap quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221174[/ATTACH]

Another lap quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221177[/ATTACH]

King size. Each block is 16 inches square.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221178[/ATTACH]

King size.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]221179[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-221168.jpe   attachment-221171.jpe   attachment-221172.jpe   attachment-221173.jpe  
    Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 AM

have done lap size by machine need to try out the different methods but so far so good
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
    these are beautiful. I so want to do a kingsize. I am doing one now in three sections but it is still a bear. I need to just get over the worries and do it in blocks at a time
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
    I have been working on this QAYG for quite a while. I have all squares echo hand quilted. The two groups on the right hand side have to be attached yet. I have used White and Warm for the sandwich, but surely don't know what I will be able to do for a border etc. and do I put W&W in that also?
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:07 AM
    MTS
    Banned

Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
    I have been working on this QAYG for quite a while. I have all squares echo hand quilted. The two groups on the right hand side have to be attached yet. I have used White and Warm for the sandwich, but surely don't know what I will be able to do for a border etc. and do I put W&W in that also?
    You make it exactly the same way as you made the blocks. Pieced or one border strip - quilted to the batting and backing. Trim to size and it gets attached with sashing just like the blocks.