Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG) >
  • Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

• Do you enjoy making the Quilt As You Go Quilts (QAYG)

Old 07-05-2011, 06:08 AM

I made ONE qayg lap quilt. I will never make another one. It was a night mare, nothign matched as careful as I was at making sure my blocks all come out the same. The sashing is what didn't match up. Oh it was so aggravating, I almost threw it all in the trash when I finished. Instead I gave to my granddaughter. She loved it...lol

Donna
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
    I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by molly oldham
    Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
    I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
    Molly, the wider sashing is part of the Cotton Theory Method. The sashings are used to join the quilt blocks together.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 AM

Yes. I have made serveral QAYG projects and have just loved each and every one. I made a bunch of Quilts for Kids that way and a quilt of valor. It is quick, easy and fun to do.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 AM

I have done several QAYG quilts. The first ones I did were by each block. Now I put the blocks together into strips and quilt the strips. That way I don't have to use any sashings on the back to put them together. I use a backing that is small print and you have to look really close to see that it has been pieced as well. Works for me.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
    Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Originally Posted by craftybear
    Do you enjoy making the Quilt As you Go Quilts (QAYG)? Let's Chit Chat!
    I have been working on this QAYG for quite a while. I have all squares echo hand quilted. The two groups on the right hand side have to be attached yet. I have used White and Warm for the sandwich, but surely don't know what I will be able to do for a border etc. and do I put W&W in that also?
    You make it exactly the same way as you made the blocks. Pieced or one border strip - quilted to the batting and backing. Trim to size and it gets attached with sashing just like the blocks.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was intending to add a picture when tecnology got in the way. One day......
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 AM

I've made two and am working on no. three. I enjoy quilting each block as I finish them and it's a wonderful feeling to finish the quilt quilt with the last block. I put a larger border on no. two and that worked great. Each one I've done something a different way. I do like this method
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I've made a few "Fun and Done" as samples for the store I teach at. Then I have done the "Cotton Theory" and love the look of that method much better. I have 24 blocks done for a quilt and collecting the fabrics for the back and sashings to finish in the "Cotton Theory" method.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I like the QAYG but don't always use it but am planning to try it to finish a UFO for a king size quilt. I made the blocks over 10 yr ago & since I can't afford a LA it's just been put away.
    Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldcottontop
    I have done several QAYG quilts. The first ones I did were by each block. Now I put the blocks together into strips and quilt the strips. That way I don't have to use any sashings on the back to put them together. I use a backing that is small print and you have to look really close to see that it has been pieced as well. Works for me.
    This is intriguing. Can you please tell us in more detail how you do the backing? Do you have the backing as a full size of the quilt you are making? Sorry, I just can't envision it, but it sounds like just the best way!