Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you ever keep quilts made for other people? >
  • Do you ever keep quilts made for other people?

• Do you ever keep quilts made for other people?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:04 AM

I made a quilt for my step-sisters son. I was SO pleased with how it turned out. It took me awhile to finish it and by the time I did, I was pregnant with my baby girl. One day my step-sister did something to my Step-Father that, quite honestly, I will never forgive her for. I have never given her the quilt, she wouldn't appreciate it anyway, she's too selfish! Gave it to my Mom instead!! It's the only quilt that never made it to it's recipient thus far! (although I am working on a quilt right now that I fell so in love with that I had to make a second for my Mom and am contemplating a third for myself!
    Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 AM

LOL, keep the quilt and make him another one. when i first started quilting i made a tiny heart wallhanging to donate to a chinese auction at a nursing home, i really hated parting with it, so i bought $10.00 worth of chances and won it back. My sister was cracking up laughing at me, but i really wanted it . Would have been cheaper to keep it hahaha
    Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Since it is your first quilt, I would go ahead and keep it and make him another one. Especially if you have fallen in love with it. My thinking is that the first quilt that you make is special and you will be proud to display and use it as well as show off to anyone that visits as your "first" quilt ever...
    Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 PM

I recently made a large quilt for a giveaway at our department Christmas dinner...about 3/4 the way through it, I decided I couldn't give it up, so started planning a different quilt. But, my sanity kicked back in, and I ended up giving up my beautiful Batik quilt. One day I'll make one for us....but boy, was I tempted!!!
    Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I have a huge finished quilt top that is really nice but it was made for a man that is no longer in my life.

I don't believe that I will be giving it to him. He didn't appreciate any other gifts I gave him anyway. :P
    YAY Pam!!! That one is for you or someone else not yet identified.
    Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 PM

With all the quilts that I make for Project Linus, I've frequently made a quilt I'm reluctant to give. Since I have 10 grandkids and one great grand, I decided to make a quilt for each of them for their future first born. (Something from me even if I'm no longer around.)
    I already have enough set aside for this purpose, so when I make another that I especially like, I go through those I already have to see if I like the new one better than one of those. If so, the new one is added to the keepers and one of the previous keepers goes to Project Linus.
    Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 AM

I do have the same problem. Also with the bags and the dolls I make... But thats just a good sign. Because if you want to give away something that you don't like then you should not give it because imho the gift isn't good enough or not right for that person. So I do give it away but with a liitle pain in my heart. :)
    If you think the colors of the quilt are for a more grown-up then keep it yourself and make another fabulous quilt for him.
    Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I have a huge finished quilt top that is really nice but it was made for a man that is no longer in my life.

I don't believe that I will be giving it to him. He didn't appreciate any other gifts I gave him anyway. :P
    YAY Pam!!! That one is for you or someone else not yet identified.
    See, in that instance, I would find that quilt another home...but not to the intended first recipient. If he's no longer in your life, why would you want to keep the memories that are sewn into that quilt, kwim? Perhaps if you parted on good terms but it kinda doesn't sound like that, lol! :D
    Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Make 2 one for you and one for him.
    Old 03-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Yes, it happens to all of us. We usually pick fabrics because we like them and also the patterns. You put your heart and soul into a quilt and when it turns out nice you are supposed to love it. My advice is to keep it since it is your first quilt and you are attached to it. You can always make another one. I have kept lots of quilts that I planned to use as gifts.