Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps? >
  • Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

• Do you feel guilty when you toss out scraps?

Old 08-28-2023, 10:21 AM

Not only do I feel guilty, but I don't just have quilt scraps, I also have garment scraps! I've been trying to find some easy patterns to use up my garment pieces because I don't want to waste them!
    Old 09-05-2023, 01:22 AM
    Power Poster

I purge my scraps fairly regularly but not by sending them to the trash- I keep a large flat rate postal box under the cutting table- when I have scraps I don’t want to keep I drop them in the box, when the box is crammed full I tape it shut and send out an offer for anyone who wants to pay the postage . I never have a problem finding someone who wants and will use my scraps
    Old 09-05-2023, 07:22 PM

I am so glad you do this. I have finally convinced my Guild members that nothing gets into the trash except paper. Our tiniest strings, batting scraps and trimmings go into pet beds for our local shelter.
    Old 09-08-2023, 05:15 PM

I make a lot of scrappy quilts, so mine mostly get used. I have switched to only sewing with cotton thread and fabric, so the little bits can go into my compost bin. A couple of seasons later they go on the garden without problems, and it keeps the waste out of landfills.
    Old 09-11-2023, 07:22 AM

I donate my scraps, can't throw out anything I think someone may need.
    Old 09-11-2023, 07:42 AM

I do save scraps, I tried cutting them up into specific sizes as I worked on my quilts. Found out I have a lot of specific size scraps I am not using. anyway, I did find strips are much more user friendly to me than squares or triangles. But now I simply sort scraps into color families. When I find a scrap project I want to do, I just go to the color bag I want and start cutting with the smallest scraps first. If what is left over is big enough, I toss it back into the color bag, if it is too small or all on the bias or just plain ugly, I toss it without guilt. Now if I do cut too many pieces of a particular size that don't get used, I just may stick it in shoebox for that sized scrap, so I have a shoe box of 2 inch strips, 5 inch squares, etc. Bottom line, once I use a scrap, I can freely toss the left over from that scrap unless I really do think I might use it again.
    Old 09-13-2023, 10:35 AM

I've never felt guilty, but I've also not thrown away "scarps" unless they are unusable. I save everything that I can get at least a 1.5" square out of.

I've been on a scrappy quilt binge while waiting for the house to sell. current one is made up of over 1,000 HST in assorted sizes. I still have a tote full of strings so need to find another scrappy string quilt pattern.
    Old 09-13-2023, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by toogie
    I am one of those that does use scraps, as you can see by these ‘blocks’ I’m making.
    I think I was brought up, ‘waste not, want not’. It is very time consuming bc I edge finish all seams and even up edges as I go, making 12.5 inch blocks. I’ve been asked if I was crazy before, so you may ask the same thing.
    Your photo reminded me of the quilts that I was familiar with growing up. They were all scrappy with no fancy designs, patterns, or coordinated colors, just bits and pieces of fabric from any available source lovingly turned into squares.
    Old 09-14-2023, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S
    I make a lot of scrappy quilts, so mine mostly get used. I have switched to only sewing with cotton thread and fabric, so the little bits can go into my compost bin. A couple of seasons later they go on the garden without problems, and it keeps the waste out of landfills.
    How ingenious. I never would have thought of this. Absolutely love this idea. I use my compost dirt for my annual flower pots. My plants love it. I will be doing this going forward. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Old 09-17-2023, 04:43 PM

My son-in-law commented that cotton scraps, sewn with cotton thread, decompose in his compost bin. So yeah, he gets a nice bag of those tiny pieces and threads when I visit.