Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing? >
  • Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing?

• Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    That seems kind of backwards to me. How can you find your favorite ice cream if you only try butter pecan?

Unless you have some "must make baby quilts" driver, like that's your only source of income, is there really a reason that you can't just go with what moves you at the moment? Life's too short not to taste all the flavors you can!!
    Love your analogy
    Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 AM

Sometimes I cut out several of the same items and sew them factory style. Other times I have a project half done when I find one I just have to get started and have several items going at the same time. And now and then I actually finish something, or a whole pile of things! I retired to sew and I'm doing it my way!
    Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 AM

lol - I love butter pecan! I'm going to follow all your sage advice and sew for fun and happy. A little of this and that and if one of those projects takes me to nirvana, well, that would be something, wouldn't it?

"Sewist" is a better term too. And I confess, I do only work on one project at a time because I get panicky if I leave it undone. I may cut up another project or sew a few seams here and there - but wait, that would be working on more than one! omg! I can do this! And, unless I absolutely hate it or have messed it up bad enough that I toss it in the trash (and that takes alot but I have done it) I will finish to the end. Most of what I don't think will turn out ends up a nice surprise.

I've cut out the changing mats for great-nephew coming and squared off gs's easy quilt - just add batting and tying it (groan) but it will be cute when done.

Thanks for allowing me sewing freedom - sew liberating!

Piece to you all, lol.
    Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 AM

I like it when I have a reason to finish a quilt, as in: I want this for show and tell tomorrow; the baby will be here in a week or so, or I just want to get rid of this thing soon. But if I see a cute block that I think would be interesting to make, I'm off. "Someday" I'll make a quilt with all my practice blocks. Frame them and put sashing around them. Can't wait to get started on that!
    Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 AM

I usually work on 2 projects at once. I find it gives me a mental break when I am just tired or frustrated with fmq'ing, piecing, etc. Then when I go back to the other project, clear mind and energy! I find that I lose focus when I have more than 2 projects. Too many fabrics, threads, clutter etc. for me! Do what makes you happy. It's your joy and you are the only one who can define what that is.
    Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

roflmao! oh look a squirrel! yep that's me. I have to buckle down and finish the 6 quilts. the piecing is done. I love that part. did, and FINISHED a table topper Halloween/fall reversible for dd's friend and now to finish dd's. made Halloween placemats for the grandsons and a few dresdens, basted my son in laws quilt, started (cut out) two work bags for another daughter. . . yea I think you are in a well rounded group here! enjoy the journey!
    Originally Posted by soccertxi
    I seem to be somewhat of an ADD quilter. I want to piece today, quilt tomorrow...oh look, a squirrel! I have a hard time settling down. Then for some reason, I get on a 'I want to finish lots of UFOS and get them out of my house' kick. My husband LOVES that one. The one thing he does not get is that then I'm free to start a whole SLEW of new projects!
    Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 AM

I have to have a couple or more things going at once or I get tired of the project...variety is the spice of life,I guess.
    Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

and if something is messed up bad-cut it up into tiny pcs. I stuff animal beds, make warm covers for the beds and donate them to animal shelters in our area. The concrete floors get cold. and never met a dog yet that didn't prefer the beds to cold floors in the fall and winter.
    Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    lol - I love butter pecan! I'm going to follow all your sage advice and sew for fun and happy. A little of this and that and if one of those projects takes me to nirvana, well, that would be something, wouldn't it?

"Sewist" is a better term too. And I confess, I do only work on one project at a time because I get panicky if I leave it undone. I may cut up another project or sew a few seams here and there - but wait, that would be working on more than one! omg! I can do this! And, unless I absolutely hate it or have messed it up bad enough that I toss it in the trash (and that takes alot but I have done it) I will finish to the end. Most of what I don't think will turn out ends up a nice surprise.

I've cut out the changing mats for great-nephew coming and squared off gs's easy quilt - just add batting and tying it (groan) but it will be cute when done.

Thanks for allowing me sewing freedom - sew liberating!

Piece to you all, lol.
    Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 AM

If it is your hobby and for fun, do what you want. Start a dozen things, finish them now or never. If it is a job, finish it. My sewing is my hobby. I love the patterns, fabrics, the process of making one thing out of another.
    Old 09-20-2013, 06:35 AM

This year I have made 5 quilts twin /double size, 25 pinafore purses , embroidery on half the purses, embroidered #'s test for my husband's projects(he does digital patterns from pictures cars,trucks tractors, motor cycles) all fully detailed.
    Have one queen size quilt on the frame right now to quilt(on my new LA 10' frame) love to sew/quilt/embroidery.