Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one???? >
  • Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

• Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM

just finished a full size warm wishes quilt for a birthday, and at the same time finished a full/queen rail fence quilt for my brother-in-law. Meanwhile, I have had waiting patiently a king size 10 minute block quilt top that is waiting for me to get back to it.I also have a Christmas lap quilt that has been waiting before the King. I have a baby quilt started before that. yep, I guess I got to have at least three or more going at all times. Did I mention my drunkards path?
    Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM

I have too many projects going, that I regret starting too many that its slowing me down to finish them
    Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM

I have 5 projects going right now, two are for the guild we are doing a birthday quilt for our guild turning 30 next year and we all started a mourning scrap quilt and have been exchanging scraps. Another one is one I decided to do to use up seersucker I have left over from making the DD's clothes. One for our bed and an English paper piecing one for hand work. I love going between the projects and I have 10 ready to be quilted I use a friends long arm so once a week I go over and knock another out! That actually keeps me motivated because I know I can finish them so they will not just sit unquilted. She's moving next year so I will be buying a long arm, I got spoiled lol
    Old 08-07-2012, 10:05 PM

No I do not finish this one before I start another one and yes I do finish my projects.

It would totally bore me to death to finish one project before I started another one. It is not my character to be that way. I have way to many ideas running through my brain to not start a new project when I think of it.
    Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM

I too have quilts that I've finished the top, or almost finished, and then don 't get around to quilting it! I too have way too many irons in the fire. I crochet, knit, sew, applique, cross stitch, needlepoint, I even used to do stained glass. One year I was really mad at myself for not finishing things and made a New Years promise to myself to finish unfinished things. For the most part I finished! Now I guess I am back again! I think it is partly the creative process. I am interested in new techniques. I dive in and learn and then get bored! I also get sidelined by agreeing to make things, including quilts for church. I always put them before anything else.
    Try not to beat yourself up. If you want to learn how to finish a quilt there are a great many tutorials out there. HGTV used to have Simply Quilts on it. I feel sure there was how to do that in the archives. Also quilting bees, societies, are filled with wonderful quilters that will help you.
    Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 AM

I make lots of tops.Then I quilt them all, one after the other...sort of production line and the one I do last, after all the practice,generally looks the best.
    Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 AM

I live in a 34' RV so I don't have room to have more than one project going at a time. I do, however, have about 8 projects waiting in line. While I'm working on one quilt, I'm thinking about which one I want to do next. I guess there are advantages to living in small, limited spaces!
    Old 08-08-2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by jj1150
    I have just finished two rag quilts (sooo easy); and am in the process of another rag quilt for my new granddaughter ....

but, but, but, I keep thinking of ALL the patterns I want to make!!! And techniques I need/want to learn (like *how to finish* a quilt, instead of making ALL rag quilts!!) lol

And in my other hobbies: counted cross stitch, knitting ~ oh, especially knitting. Have sooo many unfinished projects, it's not even funny A few pair of socks .... tops, etc. I think the only knitted items that ever got finished were a few shawls.

So, I am hoping to do: One Quilt At A Time!!!! So they WILL get done and not stored somewhere to be finished later (and sometimes, later, NEVER comes).

So, do YOU have multi projects going??? And, if so, do you ever go back and finish them???

jody
    Definitely I do more than one at a time. I get bored by working on only one at a time--and sometimes I'm in the mood to do one thing and not another....so I usually have different projects at different stages, including printing out new possible patterns.

And I do finish quite a few each year.
    Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
    I'm bad to start projects and not finish them in a timely manner... I'm juggling several at a time right now....
    Hey, at least you're juggling them. Mine? Shoved in various boxes & closets. I have UFO's from the 90's! I run out of fabric or get bored or something comes up that needs to be done right now so I'm really bad about not finishing. Sometimes I finish & other times I don't. But, since this is a hobby & it's not like I'm curing cancer or anything, I don't beat myself up too bad. If I finish, I finish. If not... whatever...
    Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

I have a four project rule...no more than four going at one time. I'm pretty strict about that rule..just dont have the space for any more...plus I don't want a lot of unfinished projects hanging over my head.