Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one???? >
  • Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

• Do YOU: Finish THIS one ... before starting THAT one????

Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 AM

I try to finish one before starting another. That is just the way I am. The only exception to the rule is when a quilt is at the longarmers. I start a new project then I have to bind the quilt when I get it back from the longarmer. I also clean my sewing room between projects.

I haven't always done it this way, but over time I have found out that if I am not disciplined about finishing projects I will have 20 projects stuffed into the cupboard and my sewing room will be a disaster area.
    Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 AM

I have LOTS of projects going at one time. When I want or need to move on to something else, I used those wonderful large ( or larger) zip lock bags to keep all the fabrics pieces and pattern and threads together. So when I'm ready to start up again , everything is together, just the way I left it. I often will write myself a note saying where I stopped and any other things about the project I was afraid I might forget between different times that I worked on it. If I only started a new one after I finished one, I would not get much accomplished, as I like to move form project to project depending on my interest and attention span!
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:16 AM

I so understand your feelings! Often I, too, find myself thinking about all the patterns I want to make while working on the current one. It makes me impatient to finish. But I'm anal enough that I usually have to finish one before beginning another.....the top, anyway; I have several unquilted tops.

But this may be a happy problem. I know people who have nothing to think about or dream about or look forward to doing. A quote on my computer reads: "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for." (Allan K. Chalmers). I think quiltmaking....or any hobby, actually.....kind of fits all these "essentials".
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
    i have at least 20 - 30 going now i like the variety and i get them all done some time.
    Sounds just like me.
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 AM

In any project I usually have two items at a time only. One to machine, as all machines are upstairs and onw for handwork while watching TV. One or the other must be finished before I start on something new.
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM

I have tried to do 1 project from start to finish before starting another but have never quite mastered this technique. Seems like the current project inspires a new one so I have to trap that new idea in fabric and so the chain of projects continues.Some how or other they all get finished and move on to their new homes.Even the ones with dead lines.
    Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM

LOL Are you Kidding!! US have undone Quilts NEVER! Leave anything unfinised silly!!LOL They are called UFO. welcome Lori icon17
    Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Me again! I too have made about 5 rag quilts (w/fancy blocks) Making them is NO small job all that CLIPing is WORK! even with the right clipping scissors. so If all you have done so far is them BE Proud!!
    Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Is this called confession time? If I get stuck on a project, sometimes I let it age before getting back to it. But now trying so hard to start and finish but seems to be a difficult task.
    Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM

I have MANY projects going and love them all. I never get bored because I can change whatever I'm working on in a second. I keep them in those plastic shoe boxes on a shelf, labeled as to what it is and what is included in the box. Works for me!!!