Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you get handmade gifts? >
  • Do you get handmade gifts?

• Do you get handmade gifts?

Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM

My sister makes jewelry (as do I) and we both give our handmade jewelry to family members (and each other). I am the only one who sews much and I give quilts, table runners, ect. (even made my other sister a quilted roman shade earlier this year). My other sister always makes almond brittle for everyone at Christmas, but in years past she was the most crafty in the family. My nephew's wife knits, she did give me a scaft and hat set.

My Mother paints, she did porcelain for many years and we all have many plates, trivits, boxes, ect. She also made me a gorgeous tea set. Now she oil paints and we have several paintings. She will be 85 next month, I will always treasure my pieces she has made although I do not know if the next generation appreciate them so much. I know my oldest son (30) only hung them in his house because I told him his grandma would be very hurt if he did not.

Last edited by Skyangel; 05-06-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Funny you should post this today: I gave a quilt for a wedding gift this weekend and I was wishing someone had given me one for a wedding gift all those years ago!!
    Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM

My SIL made me a flannel rag quilt and I love it! I call it my,security blanket and keep it on the bed all winter. I was sooo thrilled with it and really appreciated the time she put into it.
    Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 AM

I made my SIL a fat quarter bag and she made me two table runners and two snap bags. A close friend made me a wall hanging that I plan to use as a valance in my kitchen when I get it finished. Members of my guild frequently give other members items they have made.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    My husband and my son make things for me. That's about it.
    One exception is a seam ripper that an online friend made for me. He was researching small items to make with his lathe. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a prototype. I treasure this gift.
    what a beauty the handle is, I to would treasure it.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 AM

I don't usually receive textile type gifts, as most of my non-quilting friends don't sew either. On the other hand, my husband does woodworking and made me a beautiful maple blanket chest for Christmas. Our daughter loves making gifts: succulent dish gardens, homemade vanilla and vanilla sugar, cocoa mix, homemade marshmallows, salted caramels, to name a few. My DIL made me a gorgeous counted cross stitch picture of baby blue birds, our son a computer generated pixe[ATTACH=CONFIG]412155[/ATTACH]lated picture of our Goldens (each pixel is a separate picture) and my 4 yr. old grand daughter made me a "paper quilt block", because Nana loves quilts. I consider myself very fortunate that my handmade gifts to them and others have instilled a passion for them as well, and I am a recipient of such LOL
    Attached Thumbnails dscf3425.jpg  
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM

Not really. Wouldn't know what to do with a lot of the stuff. Have no use for mug rugs, hot cup holders and small items.
    I do my own sewing otherwise. As to food, it's been offered, but no one will eat it. It gets thrown out. I don't eat sweet stuff and the Vulcan can tolerate only so much, so cake, cookies, get thrown out.

Coffee is acceptable, but you can't homegrow it.
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 AM

My sister makes potholders, tissue holders, sewing machine mats (with pockets along the front that drops down from the machine), tote bags and anything else that takes her fancy, and I and many others are the recipents of her talents. I am also a sewer/quilter, and can make all of the above, but I prefer to make quilts (though I have been known to make a purse). I send her all my leftover fabrics, and get stuff back from her. It is a mutually satisfying arrangement. I also send her patterns for things I think she may like to try making.
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

My favorite gifts from my kids and rest of the family is photos of their kids. And to hear their voices. They always apologize for not sending a card or whatever. With technology today it is so easy to use the camera phone and send it through whatever media they want to use. I can save it! I know I get annoying but that's my job as a grandmother, mother, sister and aunt. We live 1500 miles from most of the family so call me, text me, send me a photo. My GDs from Michigan called me when they were beginning to spend the weekend with their dad. I spoke with them and asked "Do you know how to use the camera on the phone?" Oh, Yeah!" I said then use it to take photos of your time with your dad and send to me no matter how silly but one of them including the photographer had to be in the photo. I told my son what I told them. now the oldest says "Gimme Grandma's camera! You know what she said." Those are my favorite gifts. I now have a very large album on my jump drive and can look at them anytime I want to. Mother's day is coming up and I just want voices and photos. they change too quickly.
    Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 AM
    Power Poster

My DDs give me handmade gifts but not from their hands. LOL. They buy me hand knitted sweaters, crochet afghans, machine embroidery items, etc. They know I appreciate all handmade gifts.