Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you get handmade gifts? >
  • Do you get handmade gifts?

• Do you get handmade gifts?

Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by solstice3
    I have a dear friend that is always giving me something she made. While I appreciate the thought, her gifts are ....how do I say this ... Tacky. I love her dearly but usually can't even register what she gives. Please don't think poorly of me.
    I don't think poorly of you at all. I'm that way with my mother-in-law - her craft work is, like you described, tacky. It is usually poorly made and doesn't match my decor. The dear woman made a quilt for my newborn daughter when she was born. I ended up pulling about 6 straight pins out of the quilt after I had laid my daughter on it! It is falling apart and I'm fearful of more pins! At least I found the pins before my daughter did. At least her heart was in the right place.
    Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Seems I never recieve any homemade gifts. Would love to. usually get gift certificates to place like JoAnn fabric to help support my crafting
    Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT
    I was just wondering if any of you received handmade gifts? My mother is a sewer, and hardly anyone makes things for her. They usually buy her gift certificates or get her some gadgets, etc. I am a quilter and hardly anyone makes things for me either. I spoke with my mom about it and she said that people feel she can do it herself so why make something for her. Since that talk I have gone out of my way to make things for my mom. And suddenly she has started making things for me as well.

We all put alot of time, effort and money into making quilts. So I wondered if any have received quilted items as gifts in return? Just kinda curious.
    Come to thiink of it---------no. Well I do get the things the grands make. And food gifts from some folks. But a gift similar to what I give................nope.
    Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife
    I get some hand-made gifts from my mom like kitchen towles to go over the handle of the stove, embroidered dish towels and so on. Mom knows I won't make those for myself, so she does. My mom said she would make me a quilt, but I can make my own. My mother-in-law is into glass fusing and said she is making something for me, but I have yet to see it. My mother-in-law and I have complete opposite tastes in art and craft items, so she tends to not make me things. I do like to make things for people that I know will appreciate it. If there is a chance they won't use it, treat it well, or will not like it, I will not put the time and money into making something for them.
    Guess I'll have to back up-------------I have received the oven towels and pot holders and such-----------but generally what someone has bought at a craft show.
    Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM

My Mom makes jewelry - I have more bracelets/earrings/necklaces than anyone I know. My DD & DS take photos and set them in frames for me - beautiful. I treasure getting a handmade gift or card.
    Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM

I love the swaps here, that's how I get hand made items. Also, I check out goodwill and shelter closets and pick up handmade items. I love them no matter what they are, if someone takes the time and money to make something I gotta take it home!
    Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    My husband and my son make things for me. That's about it.
    One exception is a seam ripper that an online friend made for me. He was researching small items to make with his lathe. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a prototype. I treasure this gift.
    Oh...that's lovely.
    ~ C
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
    Seems I never recieve any homemade gifts. Would love to. usually get gift certificates to place like JoAnn fabric to help support my crafting
    Sometimes, though, gift cards are appreciated. The giver knows the cards will be used . I know when I'm using a gift card, especially for LQS or JoAnn's I always think of the giver. Family and friends know I'm on a limited budget and will always use gift cards for my quilting.
    Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    My husband and my son make things for me. That's about it.
    One exception is a seam ripper that an online friend made for me. He was researching small items to make with his lathe. I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a prototype. I treasure this gift.
    That is gorgeous. What a wonderful gift that would make for any sewer. That ranks right up there with the sterling silver thimble.
    Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM

I always tried to give my mother something I made. One year I was feeling particularly pressured and wrapped her sweat suits that were supposed to have been embroidered with an IOU. Turned out to be one of the best gifts ever! She and I had a lot of fun letting her choose exactly what she wanted and then she watched me as I embroidered it. Since she and I were living a thousand miles away from each other it made the memories of her visit even more precious to me. We were living in Chicago at the time and we had a blizard while she was there ... she loved it ... having lived in Florida all her life she'd never seen heavy snow much less a blizzard!

She went home to be with the Lord December 23, 2005 ... I still miss her but we had moved back home 8 months before she became ill and I was able to be there with her through 80 days of 3 surgeries, 4 ICU visits and finally her decision to go into hospice care and then see her final journey home where I'm sure she's still telling anyone who will listen how talented her daughter is. Gotta love moms, they always think we're the best no matter what!

Oh, and I almost forgot. My grandmother taught me to crochet a chain stitch when I was little but I never progressed from that until, as an adult, I found a book with left handed instructions with pictures for crocheting. That Christmas I corcheted a lap warmer for my 80 year old grandmother. When she opened her gift she said, "I knew Peggy would make me something," with a great big smile on her face. Thank the Lord I did!

Last edited by IBQLTN; 05-08-2013 at 11:35 AM.