Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity? >
  • do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

• do you get strange comments when people find out you make quilts for charity?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    When I mention how much I'd charge them they go through the roof, "It didn't cost you anything, why would you charge me?" Because I have to go and replace what I used to make you a quilt.
    My husband's favorite come back at the store was "I don't work for a bowl of rice."

Me? I'd say, "You buy the fabric and pay me for my time, I'll be glad to make a quilt for you. By the way the quilt in this picture took XX hours."
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM

We live in a world where self absorbed, selfish people (not to mention people in need of instant gratification) are the norm. Some people cant even see outside of their own needs and wants.... so very sad.
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:36 AM

Hmmm, I've never had any strange comments when I tell people I quilt for charity. They just say what a nice thing to do.
    Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cyn
    I just don't tell for that exact reason!
    I don't tell anyone I know either. Sometimes my husband says something because he is proud of what I do.
    Old 07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
    Power Poster

Wow, I could never beat the people you've run into!! Actually I have not had anyone say things to me like that. How completely tacky!!!!!!!!!
    Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM
    Power Poster

wow!
    you sure handle it well i believe-
    i have had a couple rude people expect a freeby-
    and yes- they are shocked when i tell them what it would cost---and that i have to have cash---first
    i make charity quilts too- i had one person say something once about my giving them away- but would charge a family member...
    i have made all of my siblings, their spouses and their children (free quilts) out of the goodness of my heart- they call up expecting another one- to give to a friend or something- they become (irritated-sometimes rude)hate it when i say- hey come on up- i'll show you how to make your own---for your friend- i'm not giving them away to your friends...

now when one of them approach me about another quilt- i just tell them- sorry- you can not afford my quilts-
    tired of their---expectations
    i got so tired of it i started telling people when they inquired- "how much would you charge me for a queen size quilt?"
    my response-
    a queen starts at $500 and goes up from there- what did you have in mind?"
    usually shuts them up.
    i would rather give them away to deserving recipients than sell one to some rude person who has no concept of what they are expecting- or desire to find out.
    luckily i've been at it long enough i have a pretty good customer base- and my family knows me---
    they approach me with realistic requests now.
    stick to your guns- after awhile it will stop
    Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM

I've also had good things come from talking about my comfort quilts. I'm just selective now when I say my purpose, if they sew and appreciate quilts I may say something.

I have had wonderful people give me their stashes and stashes they've inherited. They say, "I know it's going to a good cause and don't feel guilty about giving it away."

My aunt made quilts all of her life and very few of them went to the family. She felt the same way. She only gave them to people who really appreceated them. If a family member asked, her starting price was $300 and that was 30 years ago.
    Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 AM

one friend asked me why i give them away when "you could sell them, you know , for really good money" then proceeded to explain how to keep records for an income tax deduction. she ment well. i tried not to laugh.
    Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 AM

Is it said more jokingly than seriously? If so, then try to take it as a compliment. But if they are getting mad at you about it, then... Wow - you seem to run into some very forward and grabby / greedy people. :roll:
    Try to ignore them and go on with your caring and good works. You are storing up your treasures in heaven!
    Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 AM

Actually, no, because I really only discuss it on this Board, and with the members of my sewing/smocking group. I don't ever mention it to the people in my daily life, because I think they'd be totally disinterested and go "Huh?", and I don't want to hear that. I get a lot of enjoyment out of making my charity quilts.